Fire Dragon Blasts from Cape Town to Port Edward

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire Dragon

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
The end of a work contract and the need to move my belongings gave rise to a fantastic oppourtunity.
Although there were other options available to move my belongings, which I used for the majority of my things, no self-respecting adventure rider was going to let his steed be trucked across a country as beautiful as South Africa.

S4010681.jpg

With my departure point and destination set by other factors I was left only to plot the route.
With an abundance of time and a shortage of money my mind was set to ride my 1984 XT 600z Tenere from Cape Town to Port Edward.
After a whirlwind two days of ensuring a vehicle got on a train and my other belongings got on a truck, I found myself turning off the M5 and heading north towards Paarl on the N1.

I planned my route as the need arose. From Cape Town I headed to Worcester, being pleasantly surprised by this section, as I had been reluctant to travel on the Nâ??s.
Through the Huguenot tunnel I found myself unnecessarily accelerating and slowing and accelerating again. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up with each exaggerated roar of my exhaust note in the tunnel.

At Worcester I met the R62 and continued to head east. At Robertson I came across a roadside restaurant and enjoyed a lukewarm coffee while admiring some vintage cars. A gentleman, whose build and manner made him the owner and the leader of the Robertson Mafia, looked like he enjoys his pasta Al dente. The place is aptly named â??Sopranoâ??sâ??. Interesting.

S4010684.jpg

S4010682.jpg

I left Robertson and headed to Montagu. In Ashton I stopped and topped up the tank (always seemed to only top it up). I returned to pay the attendant and he asked â??and what about this tyre?â? I looked at the rear tyre and in front of my eyes it deflated. We filled it again and it deflated even quicker, excellent! I panicked slightly and asked about the nearest tyre shop. I wobbled my way about 200m and I was greeted by some interesting characters.
The tyre lady informed me that they could fix the puncture but I was required remove the tyre.
Koos and Kasper were informed to watch and learn how to remove a motorbike tyre. This was the first time I had removed a tyre from this bike and I was learning myself. Koos and Kasper were great and I enjoyed their help and comments. What was refreshing was how genuinely concerned they all were that the job was done right, and they took great care in doing it.

S4010686.jpg

Despite the great care taken, my attention as I left the tyre shop was on the back wheel. I unfortunately missed some great photo oppourtunities and scenery. I found that I was hearing every clink and clatter that was coming from the bike, and they all seemed new. My imagination got the better of me and I stopped and had a thorough look and found the axle one notch out on one side. For some reason I didnâ??t fix it right there and decided to continue. My mind could not detach itself from the back wheel and as the numbness and hunger became too much, Ronnies appeared.

S4010687.jpg

It was exactly what I needed. I was greeted with â??hungry or thirstyâ? to which I replied â??bothâ?. I was shown where to order food and where to quench my thirst. This was my first time at Ronnies Sex Shop and I think it is great. Entertaining and hospitable, even when it appeared that I was a few Rand short at pay time. I was assured that this was no problem and that I could settle this sometime when I returned. A bit of scratching through my jacket pockets liberated some more change.
Now with a full stomach and a slight headache I decided that I must adjust the back wheel and checked it about three times.
I settled down again into the ride and found my mind wondered away from the rear wheel and was free to escape to other thoughts.
I arrived in Oudshoorn and found a campsite called â??Klein Plaasâ?? where I was offered the pensioners rate for the night as I was alone (Pensioners rate at 23, maybe I should shave. Then again maybe not).
I really appreciated the hot shower and my dinner of Tuc biscuits and Bully Beef. I was happy with my setup and slept well with what I had brought.

S4010688.jpg

S4010690.jpg

S4010692.jpg

Mileage for the day: 400km
Fuel: 15l added to what was a ¾ full tank.

Day 2

I packed up when I felt it was warm enough. Checked the oil, and headed out of Oudshoorn on the N12 to De Rust.
I had decided to take more pictures that day.

S4010694.jpg

I joined the N9 for a short while and again got off the main route and turned onto the R329 where I was greeted by this:

S4010700-1.jpg

I looked at the road, looked at the distance, and looked into my fuel tank. Looked back at Willowmore, and decided it was breakfast and fuel time.
I stopped at a quaint coffee shop called â??Sophiasâ?? who were using only gas for the day. Yes, even Willowmore has load shedding. (There are about 11 lights in Willowmore, seriously) I decided not to read the paper and continued to enjoy my own world for a while. Sophia told me that I was either brave or stupid to be riding to Port Edward. I decided there is not much difference between the two.
I returned to the R329, an interesting road with only the centre paved, except for the one corner, it was tarred, and then the road continued to be paved. Must be a high accident zone.

S4010701-1.jpg

It was along this stretch of road that my imagination, perhaps prompted by the pain in my butt and cramp in my wrist, came to life. The scenery that was, was transformed. The still mountains were suddenly prehistoric beasts battling over a fresh kill. Low flying jets rocketed through the rocky outcrops in a wild dogfight. I accelerated and let out a whoop as â??Danger zoneâ?? began to play in my head and could be heard in my helmet. (Dammit Iâ??m singing Danger zone!)

S4010695.jpg

S4010703.jpg

S4010699.jpg

My favourite picture from the trip

S4010704-1.jpg

S4010706.jpg

S4010707.jpg

My joy continued into the late afternoon, until I checked oil in Kirkwood. I found the oil low and this gave me quite a scare. I decided to top it up and headed back to a campsite called â??Southern Shoresâ?? which turned out not to be operating. The owner called a man by the name of Johan Swart (Howâ??s this: Johan Swart is one of five in Kirkwood of which they claim none are related)
I followed the directions given to me and I was greeted by this gem, â??Sitrusoewerâ??.

S4010738.jpg

S4010709.jpg

S4010713.jpg

S4010715.jpg

S4010710.jpg

S4010718.jpg

S4010730.jpg

Kirkwood style inflation

S4010731.jpg

S4010732.jpg

View from the shower

After chatting to Johan Swart 1of 5, who commented that my bike â??purrs like a pussy catâ?, I was charged R75 for the night. This included a R20, not normally charged, fee for clean up and R7 for half a meal bag of orange wood. Not Bad! Sitrusoewer is biker friendly as long as you are not to wild.
The orange wood provided was extremely hard. I hit it with the side of a spade, which came off second best. I made a small pile and left about four strikers underneath. This had little to no effect and I found only a tiny spot burning. I decided to reassemble the wood and concentrated my efforts on a small area. The wood eventually caught having used all but three of the strikers. I burned them in celebration. Compared to the previous night I feasted on braai meat with creamed spinach and butternut. The wood amazed me as it burned for ages and continued into the night as I slept.
(Just out of interest they had caught a 14.8kg catfish here, massive!)

S4010720.jpg

S4010725.jpg

Mileage: 400km
Fuel added: 11l

Day 3

My original intention had been to continue to Grahamstown, but pushing on was not in the spirit of the ride. After the previous dayâ??s oil use I decide to stick to 80km/h for the rest of the trip. The bike seemed very happy at this speed. I was also happy at this speed. I took in the scenery while still making reasonable mileage for the day. Reaction time was also increased. The XT demolished the hills as I headed into Grahamstown and I found it exhilarating in the twisty bits.
I never really warmed up on this day. The sun was covered by cloud. The scenery kept my mind off it though. However by the time I reached Grahamstown I was freezing and in need of coffee. I called a friend and she provided me with about four cups of coffee and eggs and cheese on toast. This is just what I needed.

Having kept an eye on the oil I relaxed and enjoyed the ride. At King Williams Town I joined the R63 and bypassed East London and headed for Komga. I was happy with the dayâ??s progress, but cold. I decided on not camping and checked in at â??Red Valley B&Bâ??. Although it cost R350 including a 3 course meal, I decided there was no alternative and enjoyed it.

S4010733.jpg

S4010734.jpg

S4010736.jpg

The owner invited me in for red wine and the Stormers match. He is an interesting man and has some strong views regarding South Africa. He told me about how he was shot eight times with an AK47, and how this has changed his life.

I enjoyed the meal and warming my feet in front of the heater. I drank more coffee and fell asleep.
Mileage 400kms
Fuel added 14l

Day 4

I had an earlier start on day 4 leaving Komga at 7:30am. The earliest start so far. I rejoined the N2 and really enjoyed the Kei cuttings. I wish I had taken more pictures but also remember the excitement of meeting my girlfriend in Port Edward.
I found the ride from the Kei River to Mthatha hard work. A young boy threw a stone and I had a bit of a stand off with three young guys who walked into the road and walked at me on the line I had taken as I approached. I decided not to move and as predicted they jumped out of my way at the last second laughing and finding it hilarious. I can understand the boredom in the area. 

ColdMorning.jpg

From Mthatha on it was slightly warmer and again the scenery caught my attention. I really enjoyed this leg of the ride. The bike, having not missed a beat, continued with its low rhythmic rumble and I found I was making good time.
What interests me is that many cars overtook me, only to overtake me again an hour or so later. There is definitely something to be said for traveling at 80km/h.     

My speedo cable had given up earlier in the day, but by this time in the trip I was able to tell my speed by the rev counter.
I turned off the N2 and rode on the R61 towards Port Edward. Just after a place called Bizana I rode over the crest of a hill and was greeted by a Police roadblock, the second of my trip but the first where I was pulled over.
The Police officer was far more interested in the bike and asked questions about my trip and fuel consumption and how much had it cost me to get there. Wanting to continue I eventually asked if he would like to see my license and pointed out that the bike is also licensed, which I pointed out to him. He did however tell me to put my lights on as I pulled off (which by this stage were not working at all). I assured him that I would and blasted off down the road watching my mirrors as I went.
It seemed to take forever to reach Port Edward but suddenly I was greeted by the familiar coastline and dark blue sea. My heart raced as I finally reached my destination where my girlfriend lovingly greeted me.

I am proud of my trip and of my bike.

Trip taken from Thursday 24/04/08-Sunday 27/04/08.
Total fuel: +/- 65 litres
Total distance: +/- 1600km