first off-roader, xt500 advice needed please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru-tom

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT500
Hey all, im hoping you guys can save my ass here with your many years experience with these ole thumpers, which i am sure i will be getting very quaint with in the next few months!  ;D

i started a thread here: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=151948.0

but thought id ask the technical stuff here too, hoping the gurus can help...

here is where i am at now:

so tonight, i started stripping the tank and seat off to gain access to the motor and carb etc. dreading all the rust! But see a light at the end of the tunnel and see the potential.

Jaya3 stopped by, so we decided its now or never. Pulled the spark plug lead, shoved a screwdriver in the plug cap, kicked it over a few times, and she sparked. Was a good sign to start off with. But still no compression.

Proceeded to remove the decomp lever to see if it could be keeping the valve from closing completely. I removed the rocker cover to be able to get a better look at the rocker contact on the valve. Turned it over several times, the rocker and valve move freely, but cannot eliminate that from possible causes for compression loss just yet. Thanks to ClimbingTurtle who said i should try get some penetrating lube on the valve to see if there is any dirt that it could loosen which could be causing the valve not to close properly. removed the zhorst to get access and did that and kicked it over a few more times, the compression definitely increased a little, but not enough, not the compression these bikes have a reputation for!

We then removed the old carb, slapped the newly rebuilt one in, and squirted a little, lets just call it a combustible substance into the carb throat and we did get a few flames popping out the exhaust port. but nothing worthy of a high five  :( added fuel to the carb hoping when the cylinder sucks some in, that it could aid in the increasing comp part, but no noteworthy increase resulted. It was getting fuel, spark but not enough comp, like i said, it did get better, but not good enough.

I am a little lost as to where to go from here. I really would like to get the motor running even the slightest to know it runs and i can concentrate on something else for the meantime.

DO you guys reckon i need to pop the head off and have a closer look whats potting? then id need to replace gaskets, stem seals and and and. I know what happens with "while i'm in there", its downright expensive hahaha. where is the best place to source these from?

Do i spray some penetrating lube onto each valve when closed from the port one at a time and let it sit for a day to work? Check valve clearances and check point and condenser (i know i should have done that already, but wanted to find out why the compression is lacking first)...

any tips will be greatly appreciated