Fuel reserve light not working on my X-challenge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred400

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
My X-challenge low level fule light (reserve light) has given up the ghost, and this is pretty annoying when coupled to an aux tank that I do not normally fill as the bike is not used everyday. The light checks out on start-up, so the globe and connections are OK from that side.

I suspect a loose wire at, or bummed out fuel level sensor, in the tank (new one apperantly R1000.84c from BMW, no joke). Aprilian suffered the same problem a while back, and is still without "the light".  I am not sure if a careless pump attendend can damage the tank internals with the pump nozzle or is it simply a case of the sensor not being robust enough for our fuels or heavy shaking on Africa's roads. 

A special tool is required to open the inspection lid on the tank to ensure that after you close it, it does not leak.  This is problematic for me, as buying the tool is one thing, but carrying it with you on the bike is a bit much (it is nogal big).  Sooner or later the need to clean a strainer/filter, or to change the pump in a remote area will eventually happen, then what (BMW on Call)?  Any suggestions or ideas how the inpspection lid can be opened and closed without ruining the cap and seal and if the sensor has indeed popped - other options to repair?