Fun and Drama on the tracks to Darling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudgazer

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
So....
Zebra, myself and a mate  (not yet a forum member) went for a ride along the train tracks to Darling.

We met in town just before nine and headed to the N7 1-stop to see if anybody else was gonna join us.
No one pitched, we had breakfast and left.

The service roads were great, a little muddy, some water, etc.
This was Ross' first off road ride on his Dakar. he's only had it a few weeks.

We didn't encounter any irate farmers, or wires across the track

We are approximately 3/4 of the way to Darling, and the line I was traveling on was getting muddy and rutted, so I crossed over the middle-mannetjie.
Unfortunately Ross was too close behind me, and he smacked into the side of me.
We both went down, and were thankfully not injured.

The same could not be said for out poor bikes.

ross impacted with the front left side of my bike.
The whole instrument console, and headlight mounting was damaged. (both side panels cracked) Screen deeply scratched.
Once I managed to get the headlight facing forward I realised my bike felt more like 1200.
The instrument panel was so far forward, and my screen in such a position it felt like a new touring screen.
Slightly at the wrong height cause the buffeting noise on the way home was very loud.

Poor Ross, his first ride, and he breaks a mirror, both front indicators, clutch lever, bent his gear and break pedals, and cracks that little plastic bit that covers the back wheel.

Anyway, we bent things straight and continued, and as we got into Darling, Ross's under-inflated front tube went pap, it was torn right  by the valve.
Even though it was a Sunday Darling Tyre Repairs came to the mosaic coffee shop helped us remove the front tyre, he took to back to the shop while we had burgers and beer.
After lunch we fitted the front wheel and headed home.

My poor bike. Every bump I got over rattles the headlight and it ends up point left (or up or down).

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go weep for a bit.

What a fun day though.

Attachments

• dakar1.jpg
    dakar1.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 296
  • dakar3.jpg
    dakar3.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 292
  • dakar4.jpg
    dakar4.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 287

Latest posts