Garmin AND Tomtom GPS issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick V

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
This one goes to the knowledgeable GPS peeps out there.

I own a Garmin Zumo 500 and Tomtom Urban Rider 2.

I'm currently using the Zumo on my R1200GS LC, but recently, the thing has refused to charge when in the cradle with ignition on. After some diagnostic fault-finding, I pulled the cradle apart this evening, and saw that the ribbon connector joining the main board to the external connector pins has been fried. It also looks like there's been damage done to the ribbon-connector receptacle on the main board.
Reading the international forums, it seems like this is a common problem with the Zumo 500/550 series, even though Garmin refuse to acknowledge it as such.  ::)

The Zumo is well out of warranty, so can anyone point me in the direction of someone they know who specializes in GPS repairs? I'm not particularly interested in having my backside reamed out by Garmin SA.

In the meantime, I'd like to use my Tomtom, but it did not come with a powered mount.
I've searched, but the closest I've come is a powered mount for the Rider 5. Can anyone say whether the Rider 2 is able to use the same shape mount as the Rider 5?

Alternatively, can anyone point me in the direction of a powered mount for the Rider 2?

Thanks!