Getting back into biking jitters...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I wasn't sure whether to post this or not. But here goes...

Been lurking for a while and am amazed at what a great community this is.

The last time I rode was 25 years ago. Small cc stuff. I'm super-amped to get back onto a bike and have a number of mates who are pretty experienced riders. They have all been very encouraging.

What I haven't admitted to them is that I'm kak-scared and have lost a lot of confidence on the bike. I'm not sure how much of this is owing to the fact that I'm a parent and feel the responsibilities, or the fact that I had a kitesurfing accident a few years ago and completely stuffed up my knee. Either way I'm (painfully) aware I'm not as invincible as I was 25 years ago.

I took a riding course with Billy de Beer just to see how I would take to it again - and I loved it.

It was however restricted to a car park!! :) Anyway it was very cool to be back in the saddle.

I _really_ want to get over this anxiety and enjoy the freedom of biking that I remember.

My main concern is the unpredictability of other cars on the road. The thought of being in fast moving traffic on the on a freeway (like the N1/N2) really concerns me, I don't want to this mid-life crisis to turn into an end-of-life crisis.

Can anyone been through the same curve returning to biking? Or am I just being a complete woos?