Getting into hot water with the KZN dawgs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I am not sure this post should be on the “Ride Report” board, but I couldn’t find a board on the forum titled, “Dogs visiting interesting places and just chilling”, and, I did ride my bike there and back, so I guess it qualifies as a “ride”, and I am “reporting”, so here goes.

I saw a snippet in another post that JonW intended to go camping at Shu Shu hot springs – a place I heard about but had never been to, so I gave him a call and asked him if there was a spot I could chuck my tent down and spend the night. He said no problem, gave me the directions. I found the spot in Google Earth and headed out on Saturday to join them.

It was a really relaxing and interesting way to spend a night, and a big thanks to JonW for extending the invite, and it was great to meet up with Mr & Mrs Wooly Bugger and Mr & Mrs OutThere again and a few new Dogs and Non-dogs – I wont embarrass myself my getting forum/real names wrong!

As most of the pack were heading out from Maritzburg and Hilton, and they were there from Friday evening, and I could only leave Saturday Morning, I headed up solo via Nagle Dam, Wartburg, New Hanover to Kranzkop and then down into the Tugela (or Thukela as they now spell it)

A few picks of the up-trip. First stop was overlooking the Umgeni River near Nagle.      

ShuShu_002.jpg

ShuShu_004.jpg

ShuShu_005.jpg

Nagle Dam

ShuShu_006.jpg

From there I headed up via Wartburg and Greytown and then down the road that used to be tar into the Thukela valley.

On they way I stopped to snap the interesting rock formation in this cutting. I am not sure exactly what we are looking at here, but I think we have two volcanic intrusions of dolerite – a sill ( horizontal ) and dyke (steeper and later) and some subsequent faulting.

The geology of the area is fascinating. There is an amazing variety of rock types and wierd formations - Where are the forum geologists when you need them ???

ShuShu_007.jpg

Looking into the Thukela Valley

ShuShu_009.jpg

Nguni Cattle in the Thukela just next to the campsite.

ShuShu_011.jpg

Shu Shu is an interesting place. The actual thermal spring is on an island in the Thukela river, and for most of the year the spring is covered by the South section of the river, but during the dry winter months the south branch dries up to a trickle, and the hot spring or “eye” is exposed above the water level. A few shallow pools to hold the hot water have been built on the rocks, and during July you can book a camping spot on the island. The place is quite festive, and some people really make themselves comfortable and construct elaborate campsites complete with bars and windbreaks. I even saw a group leaving with a deep freeze.

The spring is about 50 DegC, and during the season the pools are enclosed within temporary screens. The bathers are supposed to be segregated into men and women as most bathers lounge about naked, but the plans are sort of ad-hoc and pleasantly confusing and I walked into pools with naked ladies a few times and no one seemed too worried.

Imagine Splashy Fen with no music and hippies and much more organized campers.  

ShuShu_013.jpg

This is where the water actually rises. It is a small pool about two by two meters.

ShuShu_014.jpg

One of the pools. No naked ladies, sorry.  

ShuShu_015.jpg

We took a walk up the island (it’s about a Km long) – this is the South branch with the Kranskop “kop” on the horizon.

ShuShu_018.jpg

The team - !!

ShuShu_023.jpg

A hollow fig tree on the water’s edge.

ShuShu_025.jpg

This morning.

ShuShu_026.jpg

Steam from the hot spring.

ShuShu_027.jpg

Took and easy cruise home on black-top.

What a great sleep out - thanks again guys. Great company - great place !