Going pink - Join us in the fight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ektoknbike

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
https://www.thepinkrally.co.za

Cancer …. Our journey …my story

31 December 2013 ..the day my wife discovers a lump in her breast
January 2014 she is diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer and 3 weeks later, before we are even able to deal with the news, she starts with chemotherapy, 8 sessions every 3 weeks.
This is where my disillusionment started

1.gif

The 1st 4 are called the red devil, and that is precisely what it is!
You’ll find the devil in hell and that is exactly what she experienced.
I watched as she got sick and her body got systematically weaker. The most prominent sign was her hair loss and the endless tiredness. After every chemo session she literally slept for 2 days. Just as she was starting to be her own self again, it was time for the next session. The last 4 sessions the nausea subsided, but then she had to get injections to combat the infections and to improve her white blood cell count. They in turn had their own negative side effects.

As a farmer there is only one way to describe it. It is like poisoning someone with Temik, and I had to reassure myself the whole time that the chemo is to kill the cancer and not the person.
The chemo is finished, but we still need to scale an Everest or two.
Even in the midst of this we are grateful for so many things. As my wife so eloquently describes it “At this stage there is not a lot of passion in our home, but there is unlimited love”
The cancer was diagnosed quite early and the prognosis is good. It brings you to your knees and we thank the Lord for all His blessings He bestows upon us every day.

Then of course there is the financial implications a sickness like this has on a family. Thanks to my friend and broker of the Hermitage group we are able to weather the financial storm. After his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2012 he advised us to take out a dreaded diseases policy.
I always believed we would never need it.

2.jpg

Out of appreciation I would like to give something back.
From 1 – 8 November 2014 I will be taking part in the Amageza (The crazy one) rally. I want to use this as a fundraiser for CANSA, who will use the monies for cancer research. It will also be used to raise the awareness, treatment and support of other cancer patients.
The Amageza is a motorbike rally from Upington to Cape Town and stretch over roughly 3000 kilometers.
4x4 and jeep tracks, dirt and sand roads and sleeping in a one man tent is my home for the duration of the rally.

3.jpg

This is not a rally for the faint-hearted and I dedicate my race to my wife Sylvia, who stands proud and fearless in the battle against cancer. I also dedicate my race to everyone currently fighting cancer and to those who have lost a loved one to it.
You have to endure months and years of hell…

I only have the strength for one week, but with pride, myself and two of my friends will be wearing our own cancer ribbon for the duration of the rally.

4.jpg

My entry fee is paid, my bike is ready and conforms to the Amageza rally rules, and therefore all donations will go directly to CANSA and deposited  into their bank account.

I’ve created a profile on CANSA’s Give and Gain where we will be able to see the amount that is being raised:

https://www.givengain.com/activist/124504/projects/8757/

This is where I ask you to open you hearts and wallets and to support me in this fund raising initiative.
No contribution is too small.
Ektoknbike
Hein