Good Times In The Cederberg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesXRV

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
You know how it goes. You talk about a trip, some other commitments get in the way, and before you know it a year or so has passed. So it was with my buddy Karl and I. We managed to squeeze in the odd Sunday morning blast,the occasional mountain bike ride, but "that trip" eluded us. The fact that he had to move to Port Shepstone for work didn't help either.

So, finally, this past weekend we got our crap together and went for a ride.

Adam, whom I had met on a ride a while ago, joined in on the fun on his DR650. We all got together at my place on Friday afternoon and set off for our first stop at Nuwerus in the Cederberg via Bainskloof and Ceres. We arrived at Steven and Louise's beautiful farm just after four o'clock, grab a cold beer from lapa's bar and set up camp.

My wife and I stopped over here about two or so years ago, just after Steven had finished the lapa and ablutions and were very impressed. They really made a lot of effort to create a well set up and welcoming campsite. You can even catch a rugby game on DSTV at the bar...

Meisie, their tame Springbokkie, was there as usual to provide some entertainment as well. The next morning, after a quick breakfast, we set off to our next stop at Enjolife Nature Farm in the Biedouw Valley via Eselbank and Wupperthal. The sandy patches around Eselbank proved to be entertaining as usual, with Karl (on a GS1150) and me (on my Africa-Twin) having to work quite a bit harder than Adam on his light and nimble DR. That and the fact that my sand riding skills suck...

We arrived at Moritz and Andrea's farm just after one. We had met them during a bike holiday about five years ago, just after they had emigrated from Germany to come and live, and basically, rescue a derelict farm.Moritz was an airline pilot, and Andrea a nurse in Munich. During a holiday trip, they saw a farm for sale, fell in love with it, and after a two year decision making process, bought it and moved here. In the past few years they had become good friends, and my wife and I go there as often as we can.

Moritz has built three comfortable and characterful thatch roofed cottages as well as a basic, but nice campsite. The emphasis being on really feeling and experiencing nature with no unnecessary distractions. The Biedouw Valley itself is an absolutely awesome place, definitely one of my favorite places to go and clear my head.

We quickly set up camp,and headed up to the swimming dam for a dip and a couple of beers. The view from the dam towards Clanwilliam (about 60k's away) being absolutely beautiful, it's also the best place to watch the sunset with a sundowner of your choice in hand.The rest of the day was spent swimming, playing a game of pool, and finally a lekka braai under the stars.

And, all to soon it was over, and we had to head back to the city, work, and all the stresses that go with it. But, trips like these make it all worthwhile and is all that's needed in life to clear the cobwebs a bit and make you feel alive!

Thanks guys for a great time, let's do it again soon!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us