Grabouw - my second time round

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macduff

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
This is my second time to the Grabouw hills. I will never tire of it, even tho it tires the shit out of me.
LITO had planned to go for the weekend. An open invite was made to all. I could only go the Sunday, so it was a gloomy, wet morning when Mango and I left Cape Town.

Over Sir Lowries Pass, into Grabouw we headed for the entrance to the Elgin Country Club. This time it was all legal. We were to visit friends who legally camped inside :D

This was the scene which greeted us.
IMG_0665%20s.1.jpg

Instant coffee in a plastic mug tastes so much better when sitting around a fire in such a peaceful environment.
Accton had left a little earlier, after riding the saturday afternoon with LITO then sleeping over. A pity, as it would have been nice to meet up with him at last.

After togging up, Mango (KLR650) LITO with H (KTM950) and myself (clapped out XT600) set off to explore.
Here I will let the pics loose, with a comment or two inbetween.
IMG_0662%20s.1.jpg

I had sukkeled around this corner. Sliding into the inside edge. LITO helped me pull it out onto a better line.
IMG_0672%20s.0.jpg

this little lake was the reward after a fairly strenous ascent/descent. It is visible from the Grabouw - Villiersdorp road.
IMG_0676%20s.jpg

Mango christening her KLR. Dont be fooled. We are talking about 5km/hr here :D
IMG_0681%20s.jpg

LITO shows his admiration after a really heavy climb back up to the top. It was admirable!
IMG_0682%20s.jpg

Oh dear. here I saw my "gat". Again, a bad line coming down into this corner - and down I went. A bruise on my knee and this embarrasing pic is the only downside to this lack of concentration.
IMG_0683%20s.jpg

IMG_0691%20s.jpg

IMG_0694%20s.jpg

IMG_0699%20s.jpg

IMG_0706%20s.jpg

Before calling it quits for the afternoon, we saw this pathway. I said its not possible. LITO gets a gleam in his eye.... H climbs on the back, and off they go.
IMG_0710%20s.jpg

Its hard to explain this. The track is REALLY steep. I could sort of accompany them on a side road....
Up and up they went.... until it was just too much. And this only meters from the top. I dont know who I have to admire more. The skills of LITO, or the courage of H.

That was it. We popped down to the campsite, built up the fire and had a lekker cup of tea. Nogal a choice between - normal, Earl Grey or Rooibos :)

Thats it folks - I enjoyed every minute of it all. As well as to Mangos initiation to off-road - Well Done!!!!