Great Kei Gathering and beyond - Airhead pleasure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abu

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Great Kei Gathering and beyond
When Chairman Meow phoned in December and asked if I was interested in joining fellow airheads on a trip from Pietermaritzburg to the Great Kei Gathering I jumped at the chance. Parts of the first section of the trip are covered in other reports.
Arriving at Ian’s garage in Pmb and seeing our babies after two weeks. All the bikes were gleaming, except for mine, ouch.

Three of us rode up to Hilton in the mist that night and then we were early to meet the rest at 5.30. First we heard them, then the lights 6 airheads appeared one by one out of the mist.

After 13hours on the road we reached Coffee Bay.

We had a good breakfast and then head for Kei, our last re group before heading for the Ferry.

Kei and the ferry down in the distance.

Our Camp at Umthombe Kei, with my good neighbour, Zacapa's, tent next to mine

Section of the interesting murals in the bar.

From Kei I left the group and headed for Whittlesea to meet Occy who unfortunately has not seen the light yet and still rides a KTM so was not welcome at the gathering. Rode up in the rain via a lovely dirt section to the N2, then onto Komga, Stutterheim and Cathcart. Interesting road which went via Hilton, a Methodist Church in the middle of no where.

Whittlesea lies in the valley below.

My cel phone battery had gone flat and would not charge so I approached Eric at the Engen garage and he agreed to be my coms man. Occy had been delayed so I was on my own again.

Early afternoon I headed off for Balfour via Devils Belows and Katberg pass.

As the road climbed it turned into a track and then a 4x4 track. After awhile I managed to get beached on a big rock.

After unpacking, laying the bike on its side to put some rocks under the rear tire I got going again.

After another 100m the track was blocked with trees, I climbed through to see what it would be like if I cleared the first lot just find more of the same. With rain on the way and no one knowing where I was I decided to go back down and headed for Fort Beaufort in the rain.
A question for Big Dom – was I on the right road?

The next day it was off to Baviaans and Kudu Kaya, I met Jupiter coming out of the Kloof. We had clear weather for the ride through the reserve, the road was good and the crossings were all nice and shallow.

Just before the second gate we came across the Caravan Shop and stopped for a cold drink, he also had cold beer for sale. Nat Parks want to close him down and re locate all the families to a nearby farm and then to town. Very sad.

We camped at Bokloof and had more rain that night. The next morning there was a massive thunderstorm. Plenty rain, thunder and lightening. It was rather awe inspiring to ride through Noukloof and Raaskrans in those conditions.

We continued to storm chase to Uniondale.

The last bit of gravel we rode was from Dasklip to Oudtshoorn. From there it was onto Montague for the night and then home on the Thursday. Back to reality.

Just over 2200 km of airhead pleasure!