GS 1150 vs GS 1200 - Quick comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badballie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Little background here ..... having always had offroads, a few superbikes, a cruiser, a trike, quads etc ...when it became time for a bike to commute ....the GS 1150 ticked all my boxes and I  bought one in Sept 09. Used mainly for commuting, I did 10000 kms with it from Sept to Dec last year.......

My brother in law has always been a superbike guy ......once had a TDM 850 for a few months, but quickly went back to superbikes.......his greatest love and bike he had the longest ......a Hayabusa...he is addicted to speed.

Having sold the Hayabusa last year, he was indecisive as to what he wanted now. After spending Xmas down here and seeing my GS, he decided to get one for himself as well.

We found him a 2004 1200 GS from a dealer here and sorted the finance ......I picked it up yesterday and he is coming down on Fri to pick up his new baby

We will be cruising up and down the coast and wherever on Sat with the 2 GS's

Now we get to the comparison part................

Probably wont be 100% fair, as I have only done around 120 km on 1200 and its clutch is not 100% - (dealer is putting in a new clutch as we speak......)

Will just be comparing it in commuting aspect as haven't done much dirt on the 1150 yet and none on the 1200

The 1200 is about 50 kg lighter and you can feel it .......lighter to handle and quicker in the turns  - should be an advantage offroad ....but must be honest .... I miss the more substantial feel of the 1150.

Seat on 1200 more comfy

Extra grunt and sound of 1200 ( has a Remus pipe ) is awesome...... but I like the 1150's power delivery more ....even like the E/6th gear more ......

The biggest improvement for me is the gearbox ...a lot smoother !!!!

another big plus is less vibration from the engine ........

as for most other things ..... I'll stick to my 1150 for now