GS & KTM Botswana & Zim 2010

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinogden

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Some Pilot mates of mine and my wife and I decided to take on Botswana and Zim one day at a time with only a general idea of our route.  It certainly led to a great adventure and afforded us the opportunity to gain intimate knowledge of these two beautiful countries - including the flavor of the sand en route to the Makgadikgadi salt pans!!!!

Sunset on the pans.

After somersaulting the GS 650 and breaking both mirrors and the clutch lever, dropping both GS1200's and the loaded KTM 990 in the thick sand, a visit to the local hospital for x-rays, a call out from the local Search and Rescue Hilux, a visit from the resident mechanic and suffering from the advanced symptoms of dehydration and heat-stroke we finally made it through the pans to Gweta Lodge via the picturesque Kubu island.  The Beer, and pool were AWESOME!! St Louis Lager was the real winner!! Moral of the story - "Don't split up!!" (A support vehicle would have been helpful but changes the experience).

The scene of the crash

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tiger Wyn!!

Uploaded with Imag

Campsite at Kubu Island (45deg later that day and  8hrs in the saddle)
[URL=https://img816.imageshack.us/i/img4w.jpg/]

Still lookin Good & Still lookin pretty!!

Big toe Barry!!

Do, Hear & See No Evil!!

Sidestand Shelly

Beer, coke and rehydrate formula at the pool in Gweta!!

Chobe Safari Lodge

A sorry looking Pirelli Scorpion!!

After the dust settled and we were all shacked up at Gweta we had only one problem left... The KTM had shredded it's rear tyre and there was not a single suitable replacement in the whole of Bots.  (The tube was sticking out between the tread about 2cm x 10cm).  Thankfully the local engineers came to the rescue and fitted a gator into the tyre and declared it good for the +- 500km to Kasane at a max speed of 80km/h.  A new tyre was ordered from JHB to be flown to meet us in Kasane in 24 hrs. (Yeah right...!)

“Courier” Kev traveling at 8okm/h on the damaged tyre.

A night stop at Elephant Sands (Yeah, more thick sand on the way in but by now it was a piece of cake!) North of Nata proved unforgettable with us being visited by a herd of Elephants while sitting with our feet in the pool and a Frostie in hand.  They were just as thirsty and once they were finished the level of the pool had dropped a good 10 to 15cm!!  The buffet dinner was also spectacular!  In the morning the bike tracks were covered by Elephant foot prints only 2 meters from where the bikes were parked - I'm glad they didn't test the suspension!!

Elephants and Adventure bikes…

It was my first visit to Kasane and i was impressed. We camped at Chobe Safari Lodge and enjoyed some Tiger fishing and a game cruise down the chobe river.  Alas... my tyre was still in JHB according to the courier company (Names of people and companies have been omitted to protect the innocent!).  The tyre was re routed to Vic Falls as we had a deadline to meet after already spending extra time in Kasane waiting for the tyre.

ZimBobwe….

Kasane to Vic Falls – Where’s Mommy Elephant?

The ride from Kasane to Vic Falls through the park was really enjoyable with us having to stop for three Elephant to cross the road in front of us.  An exploded tyre 5km from Vic Falls and another Search and Rescue Hilux later saw us safely to Vic Falls!!  My tyre made it to Livingston 2 days later????? Luckily sent back to Vic Falls just in time for our departure to the Matopas.

Vic Falls.

I can’t believe it actually arrived in the end….only five days late….

We were amazed by the Big Cave Camp in the Matopos and spent an extra night there before heading back to SA via Beight Bridge. (The border post impressively only took us about an hour).

Matopos.

Sunset in the Matopos

Sunrise the next day.

A night at Tshipise and a ride through the tunnels ended the adventure with an Auzzie pulling up on his GS650 (800) next to us while we were posing for a "photo opportunity".  He was headed North on the N1 so I asked him where he had ridden from expecting an answer like Cape Town.  He replied nonchalantly "Brisbane"!! As anyone who has spent 14 days riding a bike through Africa we were all very chilled and relaxed and as you say in Africa "Youve got the watch but we've got the time".  Trying to figure out what road he could have ridden from Brisbane he filled in that he had ridden solo down Africa via Egypt and was on his way back up to Lake Tanganyika.  He had that thousand yard stare like someone used to spending days alone on introspection.  He took a photo of our bikes and headed out North through the tunnels. 

The Adventurous Auzie!! (We took note of the spare tyre – Lesson Learned!!) Note the Stetson – typical…

Feeling slightly outdone after our little 14 day picnic joyride we headed back South to the land of Credit Card machines and clean Fuel!!

Were already planning our next trip!! Adventure riding is addictive....