GS Tyres

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I have been riding a GS for the last 12 years 1150 and 1200,during this time i have done the Hell,Baviaans a couple of times a section of the Richtersveld and various gravel routes around the Western Cape.All this time i have been using Bridgestone Battlewing tyres.While i am not the most skillfull exponent of off road riding i manage to scramble, paddle ,my way through.My question therefore is , for gravel roads of varying condition ;light sand , loose stone etc, would a say 50/50 tyre make my life easier.As i am seventy this year i have no intention of doing an off road training course because i believe you can be instructed on what to do, but unless you can practise the technique untill it becomes second nature it does,nt help all that much.Practise in this sense means being prepared to take the spills to learn.At seventy you dont bounce so well.
My second question is, in the GS hand book they advise you to set both the damper and spring setting to the hardest , which i have been doing all along.However i read in the latest edition of Dirt , the road test of the new GS 1200 water cooled, that the enduro or off road setting softens up the suspension am i nuts.
Buck.