GS1200. OK I get it now!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XL1000

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Just took the work demo for a long ride with my wife as pillion.
I now understand the attraction to the R1200GS BMW motorcycle.
We did our usual 220 plus km run, (distance not speed) on roads we have done several times with several different bikes. VFR800, XL1000 Varadero, Transalp, FJS600, Burgman 650, CBF1000FA, C600 Sport to name a few. Even my R1200RT two up cannot compare to the comfort and stability of the R1200GS!!  Straight highway riding aside. These were bad roads.

I am truly impressed.

Not only was the ride super comfortable over very bad roads in and around Hills and Dales, the wind protection from the screen was fantastic for both rider and pillion.
The seat did not even begin to give a hint of Monkey Butt waiting around the corner.

I cannot comment on the power yet because I have been keeping the bike well below and around the 4200 RPM range as the bike has only 1120 km's on it now but going up Krugersdorp hill this evening proved effortless!

I can see a GS in my future as just as soon as I manage to pay off the K1600GTL once it arrives.
So maybe not the near future. Lol.
Anyway, we will be meeting with anyone wanting to ride tomorrow at BMW Motorrad Clearwater.
07h30. Riders of any bike welcome, not only BMW. Cuppa coffee awaits you.
Not Clearwater Mall but 144 Ontdekkers Road. Westgate.

Oh, I don't work in bikes, promise, just going along for the ride as a guest. :peepwall: