Hard / Soft luggage options. SW-Motech Panniers? Oxford bags?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karelmalan

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
Hi dawgs,

I've been looking around at quite a few luggage options, ranging from cheap-gat, to not so cheap...

Any opinions on the aluminium panniers from SW-Motech?  At around R6000 a pair of 33L ones (incl brackets/mounting... die hele toetie) , they're a moerse lot cheaper than, say Touratech (which is way over my budget) - so how do they compare?  I've read a ride report a while back about some guys heading through rough stuff up in Uganda or someplace.  They claimed these panniers tend to break loose from the racks at the top anchor points.  I guess a lot depends on where one intends to go.  Thing is, who knows where the road will lead?

I've also been looking at / thinking about soft, cheaper options.  Any thoughts on the Oxford soft pannier bags? Around R1600 for 45L pair from linexyamaha.  Alternatively, I guess one could take a dry-bag like the Ark ones @ around R180 a pop  (I've had my sleeping bag get soaking wet before - not much fun) inside some sturdy nylon cover with anchor points to fix to the bike using straps on top and bottom of seat, like oxford bags.

My main concerns with soft bags are:
1) Volume (for those longer camping trips) - also, my girlfriend doesn't do the "pack light" thing.  :p
2) Ability to deal with rigid / heavier stuff like small gas stove / thermos / pot / water / dop - I've seen some of the threads on how some dawgs deal with the problem of cold beer  ;D
3) Long term toughness.
4) Nice thing about hard panniers is also the solid platform they create for mounting other things on top.

Any info / thoughts will be appreciated !

S

PS, check out this KLR rider's excellent DIY option:  https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17843  - non-local stuff used, though...