Harties Canal drive Sunday 26th June 2016 - Day full of excitement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katools 11

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Part one
After posting a ride to Beestekraal via the Canals last week I had absolutely no idea who might be joining.

So I got up Sunday morning very excited to see clear blue skies and to be honest not so cold weather outside (or so I thought).
I headed to the location (Engen at Route 21 Business park) to see if there was any riders ready to join on my first adventure around the famous Harties Canals.
Upon arrival just about 08:00 there was two motor bikes standing ready for action :ricky: :ricky:, ride on!!!!
Riders were Kevin - Wild dog member riding on quite simply one of the worlds most amazing machines (KTM 950 SE) :laughing4: :laughing4: and Pieter who is yet to become a member on the group riding a BMW 800 GS, nicely kitted and ready for action.
As I popped in for a quick coffee the arrival of a fourth gentlemen called Anthony (Wild Dog member riding a very pretty KTM 990 Adv) took place.

After a quick meet and greet and small talks about the canals we decided to head off as agreed on the Forum, just past 08:30.
I lead the pack as we left and decided to take the VanderHoff road to Harties. Just as we reached the Cement factory past the Monument i felt a sudden change in temperature and to be honest freezed pretty much all the way to Harties :eek7:.

We got to Harties just about 09:10 where we had a last stop for a coffee waiting to see if there was any other dogs that might join, this was not the case so we saddled up and made our way to the Northern Canal entrance, little did I know of Kevin and picked up in conversation that he is familiar with the route and with out any hesitation asked him  to lead us all the way.

About 5 km in I had my GPS cable (made a quick connection the evening before, worst idea yet :patch:) snap and it got caught up between the front mudguard and the tire. This sounded like a horrific tire burst and I was just about to kak myself. I quickly stopped and to my relief saw it was just the wire and not a puncture or anything more serious. Removed wire and back on the saddle off we go :ricky:.

As the road got more bumpy I realized, every time I go over a bump the mudguard catches the tire, stopped to investigate just to find the bloody back side of the Mudguard cracked due to the wire and this made it very flimsy. I had to take it easy from now or I might loose the bloody thing.

At the next stop I informed Kevin and Anthony of my problem and apologized for me having to take it quite a lot easier than expected, so I told them to please go ahead and stop at any place where we might have to turn off or something. Pieter riding the route for the first time was rather happy to join me at the back doing a much more relaxed pace. Before we knew it the two KTM lads was off and away.... Boy that SE sounded fantastic :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

Thankfully the mudguard behaved itself and even though it felt like we drove slowly we still maintained a decent pace. I realized if I stand and go over bumps the mudguard hits but when seated it seamed fine. We did not take much pictures so please excuse the quality and the amount of pics.

Attachments

• 20160626_104555.jpg
    20160626_104555.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 354
  • 20160626_104600.jpg
    20160626_104600.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 344
  • 20160626_104627.jpg
    20160626_104627.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 345
  • 20160626_104630.jpg
    20160626_104630.jpg