Have given up Motorbikes (NOT)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffin

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I have ridden motor bikes on and off since I was 16.  About four years ago, after a long absence, I bought a 81 BMW R80GS.  This may not have been the wisest choice since the biggest bike I had ridden was a Yamaha 360 scrambler about thirty years ago.  About a month I lost it on a corner (riding a bit beyond my abilities)  The bike and I ended up in the veldt.  Some damage to the bike and I had a minor concussion but nothing serous.  A few months later, coming back from an amazing day of mixed tar/dirt riding I was rear ended by a drunk driver.  I got off very lightly considering (broken collar bone, concussion, many bruises) but quite a lot of damage to the bike (rear sub frame, front forks, speedo and housing etc etc)  but nothing that would prevent the bike form ever been ridden again. My family were convinced I was trying to kill my self and I took it as a sign that my riding days were over. I started rebuilding the bike with the intention of selling it but did not finish that project and I could not quite bring myself sell it.  About a year ago I bought a scooter (Yamaha BWS 100 two stroke) to commute to work (It's not Realy a motorbike is it?)  Riding in traffic was terrifying at first but I gradually got used to it.  Then I remembered how much fun the most mundane trip is on two wheels. I have been thinking of getting a bigger scooter to travel a bit further.  Some folks I know are planning a trip through Africa on 150 LML (Vespa) scooters in 2013 and that really appealed to me.  Seeing SA and Africa was the reason I took up Microlight flying and bought the GS. 

A few months ago a friend was talking about getting a motor bike.  He is quite short, not very mechanically inclinlined, drives a BMW so I suggested he look at a BMW 650 GS. (road side assistance etc)  Finding information for him fired up my imagination and I started looking at other bike options. I've been reading every thing I can on dual purpose bikes. I heard about Wilddogs on radio 567 and learned even more from reading the posts.  My friend has since given up the idea of a bike and taken up golf.  I, on the other hand, am hooked.  Now to decide what, when and how.