Have I entered the twilight zone? Long rant warning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonsle

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I've recently moved from 011 to 021. I buy a bike from someone in Joburg in part based on a full service history with the dealer and get a mate to check the bike out. I'm told by the owner that the service book was not stamped at the previous service but that they would send someone to get it stamped. The sale goes smoothly, no financing, pay n clear, the bike and paperwork arrive but the book has not been stamped. Shelve that for a second.

I head to the licensing department to change the ownership. The previous owner has not changed the ownership from the bank into their name, they supply all the correct paperwork to perform this step but the department says the previous owner needs to first execute the change from bank to their name in 011, I cannot do this step on their behalf in 021. These things happen right?! It cost me a few hours in a queue but it happens.

When I contact the owner I'm directed to send the paperwork back to the GM / admin person of their business who handles their admin. I assume they have communicated. When the paperwork arrives that side I get a snotty email from said GM.

"We have received Documents from yourself… WHY ???

These Documents are all 100%..."

I explain the situation and that I have also sent the service book back asking if they could please get it stamped. The correct paperwork then arrives but still the service book isn't stamped, I'm irritated but the previous owner is adamant that the book can be stamped at the Cape Town dealer as all the info is on a central system. I take more time and head to the 021 dealer only to be told that they cannot stamp the book on behalf of the Gauteng dealer.

I mail the previous owners admin / GM person to let them know that the service book cannot in fact be stamped and that I am sending it back to them to sort out. No swearing, no aggression, I just want it sorted out. I also suggest a discount on a future purchase from their business may be in order in lieu of the way the admin had been handled. I then receive a mail from the previous owner...

"Jason no one is going to stamp the book it’s on the KTM system and that’s it.

So if you have sent the book we will let you know when it gets here and you can get Fastway to collect it again."

I phone the previous owner who proceeds to say he won't get the book stamped and hangs up the phone.

This previous owner is the owner of Bike Tyre Warehouse.

Have I entered the f#&king twilight zone here??