Headlights dead on 2012 DL650 - culprit found

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otterjasie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
Had a shocker when the DL left me without head lights last night on my way home.  I had to do 30k's in dark without lights in GP traffic - not nice.  The hazard lights just made this possible. Thank goodness this didn't happen on the KLR.  After spending some time debugging I was disappointed but relieved to find the cause:  exposed connector pins in a spot very likely to get road dirt and water.  It is located just above the radiator underneath the frame.  In the picture below (taken from the front) you can see that the connector pins are completely exposed from the front and perfectly positioned to collect water and dust.  I'm sure at the coast these connections will fail much sooner than my 26000km's due to the salt and higher humidity.  

Unfortunately I don't have time to fix it now as it is in a very awkward place, difficult to unplug & disassemble.  I will probably have to remove the radiator and/or fairing to reach this bugger.  

Any advice on fixing and prevention?  My plan is to close the front side of the connector with large diameter heat shrinkable tubing after doing the repair.

https://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/Otterjasie/2012%20DL650%20MAIN%20LIGHTS%20FAILURE/10Jul20138-33-13PM_zpsa01ce020.jpg