HECTIC CRASH IN THE RICHTERSVELD - WITH VIDEO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBendIt

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I have just returned from a week long trip with 2 of my TEAM 525 Amagezaa teammates, namely my brother Aidan and our mate Scott.

We did some awesome riding and there will be more reports, photos and videos to follow - including a new record summit of the Road To Hell  drif

On Tuesday 16 August we set out early to ride the Namaqua Eco Trail from Oewerbos (on the RSA side on the border near Vioolsdrif) to Pofadder and back - a round trip of about 550 kms / 10 hours at a brisk ride. Those who have ridden the area will know that this is no small endeavour - the book "4X4 Trails of SA" recommends 5 days to do it one way - and we have done it there and back before in 1 day in preparation for Amageza 2015.

We set off early - hence the long shadows in pic 1.

We stopped a few times to talk shit and take photos.

After 4 hours and about 100 km before Pofadder our dear friend Scott hit a moerse big "lurker" in the middle of the road at about 100 kph ... and as they say the rest is history.

Unfortunately I missed out on his flying starfish impersonation because I was leading the pack and he was behind me - but luckily he caught it on camera.

The end result was one very bent KTM 500 and one broken collarbone.

I stopped and waited for Scott and Aidan to arrive and when they didn't come I rode back to find them - not 30 seconds down the road I came across them.

I could see the "knop" on Scott's left shoulder and knew immediately he had broken his collarbone - this is a very common Leatt Brace injury - but preferable to a broken neck.

I did not tell him or my brother that it was broken but underplayed it and offered Scott the choice to carry on to Pofadder or turn back - he chose to turn back - we made him ride 150 km back to camp.

We took him to the clinic in Vioolsdrif and the lekker boeremeisie nurse Jarno gave him a rub and some lekker pills - the next day he caught a lift back to Cape Town with the owner of Oewerbos on Wednesday and had an op on Friday to set the bone with a plate and 8 screws.

Here is a link to the crash video - listen carefully to the moaning - its fucking hilarious  ImaPoser

(hopefully somebody can embed the videos - I don't know how)

https://www.facebook.com/scottcb/posts/10157396988565599

and the post crash summary by the crash test dummy himself

https://www.facebook.com/scottcb/posts/10157395989240599

Scott's new nickname is ANVIL because he can break anything and is one tough mofo for riding back home battered and broken, nevermind the bike

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 843
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 829
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 833
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg