Helloooooo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
G'day all,
My mate Jaqhammer suggested I get to know you blokes and this site, as I plan a ride SA at some stage.  :ricky:
Not sure what to say. I'm a 52 yr old family man, multilingual (French & German), and not shy to say it as it is. I ride a GS12, and I'm presently also restoring an R65 into a café racer. I tend towards touring (more on than off dirt), and enjoy the adventure of travel, seeing and meeting different people and cultures. I've biked Australia's east, all New Zealand, and a tiny bit of Thailand. When I work out how to attach pics I will send you some of me and my travels.
I have about 4 (maybe 6) weeks off in December/January, and was thinking of riding SA solo, perhaps flying in/out with my GS ex Oz. I have yet to make hard inquiries. I am told accommodation and food prices in SA are very modest, so camping would probably not be necessary. I suppose by AUD trumps the Ran at present, which helps me. I have been warned about dangers (muggings, thieves, etc), so I would prefer to avoid the dangerous spots and situations. On  the other hand I am not interested in major cities (JHB et al) and want to enjoy the countryside and its people. Call me naive here, clearly I need your guidance. I would also consider bike rental if it were an option. In that scenario, I might fly in with my 18 yr old son (if he ever gets his bike license!), who would also rent.
I have no idea where to go, or what to do, so all suggestions are welcome. I will be reading this site and picking your brains.
Looking forward to getting to know you. Have a beer on me and see you round.
Oh, and by the way, guys, sorry about the cricket  :amazon: