help a newbee, what to buy/look for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinfloyd

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
This could open up a hole can of worms and I apologise if it does...

I will soon be in the market for a duel sport bike, I have done a bit of off roading on my 450 and have decided that my passions lie on gravel long open roads and intact collar bones. ::)

Im a complete newbie and am scared of getting it wrong to be honest; I was hoping a few of you would offer up your opinions on where to stars.

My immediate intentions where to go for a BMW in my price range of 50 to 60k I know I can get a decent 650 but I soon found a few 04 ktm 950’s.

I did some reading and the 950 looks like a better option, extra umph, ectra height (which is good cus im 6,2 and 100kg) but obviously the parts and services can be pricey.

Im also a big fan of the family aspect and events like the rally raids and ktms constant effort to interact with their consumers appeals to me.
So am I foolish, should I consider all the trans alps, africa twins, klrs ect…

Are there any niggles with the 950’s I should look out for (the only thing I have picked up is the fact that they need new oil pumps every now and then)

Any advice or opinions would be most welcome

Regards
j  ???  ;D