Help needed now sorted - clutch failure bush mechanics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBull2007

Bachelor Dog
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi Guys

I'm stuck in the Andes mountains with a failed clutch on my 800GS, 2008 model. On inspection I noticed the bottom adjusting screw on the cable had fallen off. No problem, put if back on and adjusted it accordingly. 10 minutes later my entire clutch went again. There was zero resistance on the lever going into the clutch cover.

So I took it apart, and to my horror the whole clutch cage assembly came out in my hands on removal of the clutch cover on this first step.

aa-L.png

Normally these are the steps to take to get the clutch cage out
ab-L.jpg

ab-L.jpg

(No clue how to do this TDS step seeing the bike is in neutral and everything is out) ::)

ac-L.jpg

ad-L.jpg

Now I have the whole thing in my hands.

ae-L.jpg

I think the nut used to bolt the clutch cage into the housing somehow came loose. You can see it in here when you look at the inside.
ai-L.jpg

Of course it wont be possible to get at without opening it all up

The clutch plates still seem to have material (gaps) between them, so I don't think it is worn out.
ah-L.jpg

The housing
ag-L.jpg

Fortunately I have a spare set of plates that I carry around with me on these types of trips so I will check when I open it up and if need be replace.

My questions are these:

1) How the heck to I get the bike back into gear without the clutch (It wont click in like It should)?

2) What happens if I fix all this and get it together somehow without the engine being in TDC position? :eek:

3) Has the clutch just worn out or is it likely the workshop replaced it badly? I had a new clutch put in less than a year ago, and this is the first time I have put any decent mileage on it since then  :-\

Any other bright ideas or insightful input would be great. I have the bike in full sun right now so I'm going to have a bite to eat and get started on it failing any comments here.

I know this should go under the technical section but its quite urgent that I get some feedback on this or our trip may be over with a capital O.