Hexhead Oil Temp & Analysis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I’m aware there have been numerous oil threads, however none can give me a definitive answer.

I have a 2008 R1200GS and was stuck on traffic a while ago. The temp gauge indicated 7 bars (just below triangle indicator). I’m not sure how long the indicator was on 7 bars, however the bike showed no signs of overheating (pinging, rough idling, excessive heat coming from the engine, low oil pressure warning) etc. I’m well aware that the 2008 boxer is an oil/air cooled engine and needs air flow to keep the engine cool.

I discussed the following with my local BMW dealership:
• 2004 – 2007 GS: The bar indicator flashes if the engine overheats and general warning light lights up.
• 2013 GS: General warning lights up red and temperature symbol appears on display.
• 2008 - 2012: Has only the horizontal bars and no other warning mechanism.

The dealership requested clarification from BMW Germany and their reply was:
“The truth is there is no warning regarding over temperature and the display will never reach the top. (since the sensor is not able to read more than 148 degree c no matter what the real temperature is). We could spend much time trying to explain how this can be. But it is and we have to handle it.”

• Question: Has anyone ever tested the temp sensor to clarify if the readout passes the 7 bar mark?

I took a sample of the engine oil to an oil analysis company and according to them the oil showed very little indication of degradation.
The owner of the business stated that as long as the oil is flowing, the engine should be ok.
• Question: What should I look for in the oil analysis results that might indicate oil overheating?

All the literature I’ve read relating to oil states that:
• Viscosity decreases with increased heat.
• Certain additives break down with increased heat.
• Long term viscosity might increase due to the breakdown of certain additives.

According to a post on ADVrider/GSpot FAQ: Part 5 (Oil):
For oil temperature LCD readout, there are 10 BARS, with no bars showing to be taken as zero bars:
0 33.5° C ..... 92° F
1 40° C..... 104° F
2 65° C..... 149° F
3 80° C..... 176° F
4 90° C..... 194° F
5 105° C..... 221° F
6 130° C..... 266° F
7 150° C..... 302° F
8 160° C..... 320° F
9 170° C..... 338° F
10 175° C..... 347° F

As far as I can tell there are only 9 horizontal bars.

• Question: What damage might occur if the maximum temperature is exceeded apart from the lack of lubrication?
• Question: Has anyone ever experienced more than 7 bars?
• Question: Has anyone ever overheated and damaged a boxer?[/color]

Numerous GS owners have experienced the bike’s 7th Temperature Bar being illuminated while in town traffic. According to the advice they have received from Official BMW Service Centres this occurrence is nothing to be alarmed by.