Hierso gaan dit lekker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMO

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR500
Halo Almal,

Finally, a forum for grownups... Stumbled upon Wild Dogs while searching for some info on my '82 XR 500R. Didn't realize they were so popular after all these years. Got mine on a small holding some nine years ago (kan nie glo dis al so lank terug nie). It started on the second kick, shook the ground at idle, made the right noise from the loudpipe, no smoking and pissed oil from head area. Plastics not in so good nick due to standing outside in the elements...Took it for a spin, I can still remember, the more I turned the throttle, the broader my smile got. After bargaining over the price, i was a happy customer.

Long story short, I didn't ride it much due to the oil leak and the clutch was slipping, so it turned into a strip and inspect project. Fitted new clutch plates and side cover gaskets, sent the seat for recovering and waited. I knew I was going to move so I left it at that. After moving I stripped further but  left the motor complete, sent some bits for powder coating and reassembled the swingarm to the frame. Removed the tappet cover to check if cam roller conversion was done, and it was not. Found many bolts stripped, hence all the oil leaks. Before I wanted to strip, I wanted a manual but it was difficult to get hold of, so the project took a back seat...

In the meantime I sort of lost interest in the project, got married and bought a house. I thought of selling the bike because it was in my way, but deep down inside I didn't want to sell. This week I got the great idea to check what they go for on the net and as I say, I stumbled on the forum via another site that featured Grego's XR build. After reading his complete thread for the past three days, and seeing him going on his first solo trip, I have decided that once my garage and finances are sorted, I will continue my rebuild, The Right Way!!!

Genoeg nou eers van die bike, bietjie meer oor my. Ek bly in Bellville in die Kaap waar ons baie lekker plekke het vir offroad ry. Ek is nie meer so mal oor spoed nie, maar meer oor die ervaring van bike ry. Ek het nog net 3 fietse gehad, '79 Xr 500, '82 Xr 500 en n 125 poegie. Die poegie was net gebruik vir 3km werk toe en terug elke dag.

Ek is so 16 maande terug uit die motornywerhied en besit nou n Laundry en maak matte skoon vir n lewe. Ek hou daarvan om dinge 95% van die tyd reg te doen, maar die ander 5% is net daar om te sien wat gebeur as ek nie als reg doen nie.

Nadat ek Grego se storie gelees het en gesien het hoe almal raad en insig gegee het sonder om iets terug te verwag, was ek bly om te sien daar is nog goeie mense in die wereld... Dis een van die redes hoekom ek gese het:"Finally, a forum for grownups..."

Dis nou maar eers al oor my, ek gaan nou maar verder rondsnuffel hier by julle.

OMO.