Highway 1 to Big Sur

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabasco

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Well its another Saterday and I'm dying to go for a ride.

And I only have a rental car - for some reason it just not feel the same.
So the next best thing is, rent a bike (albeit not cheap but hopefully the result is satisfying).

Searched the web and found a rental company not far from me.
Yes, this is the States and almost all transactions are done via the www and by means of a cc.
So appointment made and deposit paid , I am ready come Sat. morning.

Luckily I brought all my gear with (hoping to go ride road/gravel some way ot the other), thus no extra cost for gear renting.
The only thing I did not tag along was the helmet (too bulky to check in/out), but no worries they provide a helmet free of charge with the rental - shot  :thumleft:
Sales men: " what helmet would you like 1/2 ; 3/4 or full?"
me: " full face thx"
and there you go with a brand new helmet out of the box (wonder if all customers get to use new helmets ? I doubt it) and I think the majority take piss potte.

Next important decision to make is: "which bike to take".
You have the option of heaps of HD or a few BM's (RT/GS) and the odd wanabee HD (Gold Wing)
I think I will take the GS (1200) and considering that I will only be on tar - that does not pose to be a problem  :pot:

Ok, papers signed, helmet issued and the ins and outs shown of the bike - all set, lets go.
No wait, first I must do a test ride round the building - ok, will there I go (rep is happy and says to me - you got it  :ricky: see u later).
I only opted for 1 day rental so it is important to get going - I want my money's worth.

The route was planned the night before, and the shop confirmed "yes , Highway1 is beautifull".
I will see for myself.

Planned route:

And no I am not going to hide the number plate:

Plan is to go from the shop (San Jose) up north just before San Fransisco head west to the coast and turn south by Half Moon Bay.
Not much to see here, except that the helmet noise is uiters kak.
Pull over at Half Moon bay get my cell phone with the earphones in - lets rather listen to mp3's .
Nee f@k, that also does not want to work - I listen to 10sec of each song - then the next one.
Carry on like this upto Santa Cruz - not to bad a route up to here, but not great either, the only way to solve the helmet noise was to
"gee hom gas" mmm that GS can move if it wants to.

Ok, I am at Santa Cruz, got to fix this helmet noise - in at the first hardware store I see and buy some earplugs (the ell cheapo type).
Wow, thats better! (these things served me well in the past and never dissapoints).

But I am not here for an Equipement review - so lets get going.
Push out of Santa Cruz and back on Highway 1.

Boy, now it becomes scenic, the area in Monterey Bay is just stunning.
Stop for a few photos here and there - but I need to push on , the target is Big Sur.

The view is just beautifull now - but I cannot stop for a photie every 5 min, the road is getting twistie and the ride now becomes fun.
Roads are just in a fabalous condition - almost no need to look out for pot holes, just look ahead / open up & enjoy the ride.
So it goes on upto Bixby Bridge - and here I have to stop, you cannot go past without taking some pics (enjoy).

Ok, lets move it - Big Sur should not be far from here.
And hows that - the fuel light came on, mmm wonder how far still to go?
Luckily not too far, reached it - refuelled and time for something to eat.
Think if you hang around here - then it can get comfy / check the chairs in the river (give meaning to the term "on the rocks").

This is a foto of an old bridge (taken inside the bar/restaurant).

I have something lite (if you can get that in the USA) to eat  and (according to the bar notice) the best Bloody Mary in the area - must say that statement is not far off, mmm lekker man.
Ok, this is goed en wel but I need to hand the bike back by 17H00 (05H00 PM as the Yanks call it).
It is now 03H00 - better get moving.

The way back - I have to backtrack upto Castroville (because there is a mountain in the way on the right), from there it is straight to the 101 - and all the way to San Jose.
Lets hope I make it, cops/cameras will get attention another day - lets go.

The deal is you get the bike full of fuel and you have to return it like that.
Stopped to re-fuel and pulled in at the shop - about 10 min before 05H00 (good no extra cost).
All handed in, wait before I leave - lets check the odo:

257.9 miles (just over 400 km) - that was worth it, yes no dirt but still nice to ride.