A big head... am I really the only one??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From when I started riding again (post-babies etc and early for a midlife crisis), I have battled to find a helmet that fits.

Only three proper helmets have ever fitted over my huge head straight off the shelf:
1. Some Arai road helmet in 3XL (but I could hardly breathe, so I didn't buy it)
2. Shoei XR1100 in 3 XL (magical quiet road helmet)
3. BMW GS helmet (gen 1) in 2XL (although for two weeks or so I could only wear it for as long as it took to ride from Joburg to Pta).

The Shoei was older than the GS helmet, so it has been retired to a shelf years ago. And AMP cannot get Shoeis in 3XL anymore.

I retired the GS helmet earlier this year.

So the search was on for an adventure helmet that would fit. Really long story short: there isn't one.

The new GS helmet actually comes in 3XL, but apparently not for us yokels in South Africa. And the new 2XL does not go lower down than my ears - and even that f***** hurts.

So I settled for an HJC road helmet in 4XL. Any colour, as long as it is black. It fitted right off the shelf and only hurt a little. I could wear it all the way from Nelspruit to Pta and then it was fine. But I want an adventure helmet.

Out of complete desperation, I ordered an LS2 via my daughter in Poland. Because in Europe you can have them in 3XL. My sister is visiting her in Poland and will be bringing it back in the new year. I am already wearing my knees through, praying that it would fit. Otherwise, I might be posting here about a brand new helmet, never worn...

My mom used to say my head is so big because I have so much brain matter. I have since learnt that it probably has more to do with bone density and a huge ego (with nothing to back it).

But I refuse to believe I am the only person in South Africa who cannot find a helmet large enough.

Or am I...?

• Haha
Reactions: TVB