• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Honda NX650 Dominator - (SALE PENDING ENGINE REPAIR)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blauth

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
1991 Honda NX650 Dominator for Sale.  R26000.00

I purchased this bike a few months back as a cheap commuter and a little adventure fun. Unfortunately, as with second hand things, there were a few niggles. In this case the niggle (A clicking noise in the engine) turned out to be a major problem which has resulted in an entire engine overhaul. The clicking was one of the valve seats had dislodged and was being hammered in and out of the head every time the valve opened and closed. Thankfully, I had the sense to strip it before it did any damage. This could have been a serious problem if left unchecked. I got a little carried away with what really needed to be done but while the engine was being rebuilt, I picked up an 08 Transalp with lots of extra's for 50k so regrettably, this bike has to go.

This bike is great on and off the road and can do fantastic wheelies in second (if that's your thing).

The NX650 is a grey import but I found getting parts from honda is not a problem. 15 working days if they don't have stock locally. It has a standard XR650L engine in it and most XR600 parts fit this bike.

The bodywork needs a little love (not too much) but the frame is in outstanding condition (no rust and no paint coming off). The bike even still has it's original tool kit in a little tool box inside the bash plate. Front tyre is good, back tyre is poked.

This is what I have done to the bike since I got it:
- Custom wind shield. There is a spare one as well (the first attempt) which is ok.
- New adjustable front brake lever
- New rear wheel bearings
- New chain slider
- Pro-taper high rise bars with really cool looking adaptors
- Wrap around hand guards
- Custom widened foot pegs
- Dave's carb mods for better throttle response
- Removed snorkel and smog stuff that EU bikes come out with.
- CRF250R twin exhaust mufflers (Polished up nicely - cost about R1300.00) but these are not fitted yet. These will provide decent exhaust flow.
- Engine rebuild (Cost R7013.57):
* New 102.46mm Wiseco Piston kit (Piston, Rings, Gudgeon Pin and Circlips). This required a rebore and results in expanded capacity from 644cc to about 676cc.
* New valve seat pressed
* All valves recut and reseated
* Valve stem seals done
* New timing chain (Tensioner and sliders are perfect).
* Valve Rockers are all good
* New exhaust seals, spark plug, oil filter

XXXXXXX from XXXXXX in Pretoria rebuilt the engine and he has huge experience with these XR engines. Can give you his number and show invoices. I collect the engine tomorrow and then I will prefer to run it in myself so that I don't have any come backs.

img1247compressed.jpg

img1249compressed.jpg

img1244compressed.jpg

img1243compressed.jpg

Pics of engine while it was appart.

nx650dominatorpiston2.jpg

nx650dominatorpiston5.jpg

nx650dominatorpiston6.jpg

nx650dominatorpiston7.jpg

nx650dominatorpiston8.jpg

You can call me on O8245O6859  or email me [email protected]