Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer tyre choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMS

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
I have no intent flogging a dead horse as there are so many tyre related posts but I do think this might help the other discerning owners of this rare bike. It was fitted with Bridgestone Battlewings when bought new. Great on tar but very skittish on gravel. Based on the advice of a local store I fitted Karoo 3's. Did 10 000km's (yes its true, promise) of 40% gravel and the rest tar. Back tyre had about 20% left and front about 50%. That is the good news. The back tyre never instilled any confidence regarding traction on both gravel and tar and as it got worn it got worse. There was a noticeable deterioration in the handling of the bike on both surfaces. Initially I thought that I simply bought a bike that is not as cable on gravel as I thought it would be and I was a tad disappointed. Out of frustration and after reading numerous threads regarding tyres, I decided to replace the rear with a Mitas E07. The front Karoo3 was still fine. Now for the relevation. Did a 7 passes, 620 km test drive. 50/50 gravel and tar. As good on tar as with the Bridgestones. On gravel it was a completely different bike. I have been riding a KTM 1190 for a few thousand k's and all of a sudden it felt if I'm back there. Great traction, absolute stability in corners, in a straight line and in lose gravel. Absolute confidence booster. Of cause, I then noticed the lack of a harsh ride, the torture seat, the vibration, the lack of torque and power and the orange hue as you pass through the country side. Sorry, not meaning to be brand bashing! I'm just making a comparison as I experienced it. I am in a very happy place. With a single tyre change I have transformed a bike into something that I will confidently take on any gravel trip with all the popular bikes. I hope this will help all the other Crosstourer owners and maybe it can be of assistance to some other guys as well. It really seems to be a winning combination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk