Honda XLV750R - Honda's attitude to my recent query. Good or Bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDavexlv750r

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
On or about 23 Aug 2011I placed a web query with Honda and got a quick response.

I was looking for some parts for the XLV750R and got a response that I should possibly go to https://www.classicmotorcycleclub.co.za/ as they would probably be able to assist.

I also received this response:
Good day to you.

I have checked with our web site there is no such bike.
Please forward me the engine & vin no , i will try & assist you part no's.
As for info whether parts of one bike will be interchangeable with another we will have no idea.
Blue prints of diamensions of all parts are only found at the Japan factory.

Please note we only work the the web site provided by Honda Motor Europe.
That is the reason i requested the engine & vin no so that i can forward it to Honda Europe for clarification of model. and get parts catalogue to help you.

14 November I got back to him with VIN no. Earliest I could do this.

Response was that it was sent to a dealer to contact me and to resolve my query

I thank for prompt response.

15 November 2011

Send pic of relay and other things looking for. Tell them I believe it same relay used by Honda Blackbird - it's confirmed and we buy relay. All's well. But no response on other parts or parts catalogue.

5 December 2011 my mail to Honda
Hi

Can you tell me if the parts list has arrived from Europe yet?

Apparently Honda in Holland have much info available on this bike.

Please get back to me on this soonest.

This is response
Good afternoon.

Please contact **** from East rand Mall, he will assist you this enquiry.
Contact no is    011-8264444. Unfortunately i do not have authority to contact Holland

My response

The last correspondence was that Honda was waiting on the spares list from Europe.

My question is what is happening about that?

When I worked at ****** – we made an effort to assist the client and not shrug it off as you are now doing.

If I don't have a decent answer from you by tomorrow morning lunch time – I will refer this to your MD and you can explain your crappy attitude to him personally.

Then a new dude sends this to me

Hi David,

Please note that this model is obsolete and therefore the items that you have requested for is discontinued.
Please check with local dealers for second hand or local parts which will be compatible.

My Response
Hi

You obviously missed the point of our discussion.

There are compatible parts for this bike on some of the current models.

Therefore a parts list with numbers for this bikes parts could be run and compatible parts found from later model bikes.

Surely there must be some sort of communication that tells you when part numbers change due to changes etc and these numbers can be traced back to the original numbers.

I know that it is available in Europe – the Italians and Dutch and Swiss post on the site of availability of some parts. But I can't buy direct from Honda in Europe. You refer me to the dealer that refers me back to Honda SA.

For instance a lot of Africa Twin parts are interchangeable as are CBR1100xx as well as XL models and some XR models.

I own an old Suzuki which is also long time discontinued but if I need a part it is ordered from Japan and 3 weeks later I have it.

It seems that Honda has no interest in building brand loyalty –  You know that they talk about building relationships with their clients for life. I think it just too much effort for you and every other person you referred me to actually make some sort of effort to assist.

I will be posting this experience on a number of bike sites as well as Hello Peter and will copy this to the MD. I will get his contact details at the next track day that we are at.

The lack of effort to assist is mind blowing!

Their Response

FYI and action,

Thank You

THAT WAS THE RESPONSE! So I strip a little bit more and refer back to his previous mail and answer as follows:
Hi

Your response without any comment is totally inappropriate.

This seems to be the general attitude of someone who lacks the proper training in dealing with a CUSTOMER / CLIENTS query.

I have been an owner of numerous Honda's in my lifetime and very very brand loyal.

To merely send a mail FYI and action taken tells me absolutely nothing.

Is this Honda's Policy on how to treat a client? Even if the bike in question is obsolete as you put it you clearly demonstrate a lack of understanding of the business you are in. If you think it is about selling parts to dealers – then you should not hold the position that you do.

Your lack of interest in me as a biker and client loyal to Honda as well as your lack of grasping that I own a limited edition model that I am trying to keep pristine seems to indicate that you have no passion for motorcycles and even less passion for customer service. There are only 4 road going examples still around in SA.

I am not asking for you to create a miracle but merely to help me. That would entail a bit of work on your side with resources that you have that can assist me.

I will take this matter further about your attitude. As to my understanding of what Honda stands for – this  just doesn't cut it.

Honda should find some people who are passionate about what they do and not waste their time on staff that see what they do merely as a job.

I am disgusted and disappointed with your response thus far.

Now I am even more angry and take his previous mail and mark it in red to respond as follows
Hi David,

Please note that this model is obsolete
( I know it is no longer manufactured but my previous question related to interchange ability of parts  – I even mentioned possible models
)
and therefore the items that you have requested for is discontinued.

This again just shows me your lack of interest because although the bike is discontinued a number of the parts are still available in later models of Honda's.  The VT750 is a water cooled version of the XLV750R so some of the major parts here would probably fit. The Africa Twin has parts that came out on the XLV750R. The Blackbird – carb version uses the exact same fuel pump. The drive (cardogan) was used on a number of shaft driven models from the same era that have been manufactured for many years. Surely there is info on this? At the risk of the frustration of repeating myself again. Owners in Europe are able to source a number of parts from Honda so my logic tells me if they can get spares there then there must be a spares list. Yes? Good, then there should be unique part numbers available? Yes? Good, then if one has these part numbers one can run them through the computer and it should then reveal to one which models use the same parts. There must be records on this bikes spares. Sure the parts may have been modified or upgraded over time but there will be a record of the previous number and the new. If Honda does not have this simple system in place they would not be quality approved in the countries that they operate. So a little effort on your part could result in a huge result on my part. And if Honda operates without these basic systems then I would be very concerned about Honda's so called quality.

Please check with local dealers for second hand or local parts which will be compatible.

( Again this shows your lack of effort or concern with my query. There were limited numbers built of this legendary bike. There were probably 8 brought into SA and probably 4 still road going that I know of. Please tell me how the hell I am supposed to check with local dealers if we don't have a starting point – the spares parts numbers and/or  compatibility list? It also demonstrates to me a complete ignorance by you around the basics of satisfying a client's needs. And even more disturbing it seems to show no passion or understanding for clients that are trying to maintain Honda's legacy ( And that's not a car) by keeping history alive around rare models of motorcycles such as the XLV750R.

This is not the whole discussion I had (just some parts of it) - but this is the problem I am having in addition to the above... I call dealer he refers me to Honda - I call Honda he refers me to dealer. I say to Honda I can't buy the parts from Honda overseas due to their agreements but neither can I get you to get the info for me so that we can source common parts off later model Honda's. That's all I am asking for. Not be chased from pillar to post and to be given a kak answer everytime without any solution to my dilemma.

Am I being unreasonable ?