Horsefly Heights...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobCrouch

Not a bachelor.
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Somewhere near the top of Katberg Pass (the dirt one) is a tight left hand corner followed by a washed out bit of road... got my line all wrong and ended up testing the Motech crash bars again... they still work but I decided to pack it in as my right hand index finger had either been whacked, wrenched or otherwise abused in the unceremonious dismount of my trusty steed. I have learned that it is better to quit and try another day... :sip:
After getting the bike upright I decided to cool off and have a drink before manhandling the brute into a position I could launch myself back down the pass and call it a day.
Just after taking off my jacket I became horsefly lunch... I now had 2 options, put on the jacket and sweat it out while wrestling the bike or donate a pint to the cause of horsefly proliferation. Thankfully as I was swatting these bloodthirsty critters I heard the sound of a Thumper descending from above me. Someone had sent respite!
Nice meeting you Jamaj! You certainly saved my skin from becoming a sieve!
Just goes to show... WDś are everywhere! :ricky:
We got my bike pointing downhill and set off back down the pass/traill and lo and behold at the waterfall are two KTMś... with Weskus, Pillion and Legadama taking a break before tackling the next bit up and over. On their way to Somerset East? Hope they had less mishaps than myself. After that Jamaj and I headed back to Hogsback to enjoy a few cold ones and a bite to eat... the least I could do for a helping hand from a fellow WD! :thumleft:

So if you ever get to that part of Katberg pass, remember it is now dubbed Horsefly Heights as of 27 December 2012... keep your gear on should you dismount for any reason! :biggrin:
As soon as I can I will get the pictures posted as well with more commentary on my overall trip to Hoggies and back.