How Dangerous Are We?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Adventure MX

This last week some of my customers have told me about accidents they or friends have had on bikes and quads.  The strange thing is that many of us frown upon quad accidents and immediately say that quads are dangerous.  When we have accidents on bikes it tends to be seen in a different light and bikes are seldom referred to as dangerous.

I don't want to get into a saga where we mention things like "only hooligans ride quads" so thats why those type of accidents happen.  For this reason, does it actually make a difference what we ride.  Off-road riding is a dangerous sport, whether you are on DS bikes, MX Bikes or for that matter Quads.  We can get technical about it and claim that quads fall on people and bikes tend to fall away from people.  But I think there is more to this situation then meets the eye.

In all fairness, can we actually blame our machines for the accidents that happen.  I am sure that most of us have all had our trip switch fall on occasions and we do stupid things.  Some of us can laugh about it and others will cry about it but as far as I am concerned the rider makes or breaks the ride.

I started my Off-road career with MX bikes, went to quads and now I do them all - DS, MX and Quads.  When I was younger I had more "balls" and less worries then what I have today.  I have had a couple of accidents and they have all been a case of bad choices/judgement.  When I started riding quads about 7 years ago, I already had plenty of responsibilities (family & Business) and I like to think I ride pretty well.  My point being: is that I have never had a bike or quad accident since I got married in 1999, (touch wood for the future).

Surely then It lies in the attitude to which we approach the sport.  If you are reckless and take chances you will need to suffer the consequences.  I would reckon it is about knowing your limitations and being able to improve on them as you are confident to do so.  Why do some of us then feel the need to break the boundaries on these limitations and then when accidents happen we blame the bike or the quad?

Like to hear your thoughts on the subject!