How do i pack my new Dr650 for 3 week trip and still enjoy the dirt / sand roads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djhep

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Hi all....
I'm after a bit of advice on the best way / configuration to pack my new Dr650 for solo trips on dirt / sand roads.
Will soft pannier bags upset the handling greatly, as opposed to carrying a dry bag on a rear rack?.
Also will a medium sized tank bag upset the handling?
I would really like to hear what you guys recommend before making any purchases.

I had a baptism of fire came late last year when i naively packed up my newly purchased 1200gs with everything bar the kitchen sink and headed up to Namibia for 3 weeks.
My only previous experience riding on dirt / sand was on my drz400e on day trips and with next to no luggage
I foolishly didn't think that a bit of luggage (probably about 40kg's including the weight of the panniers and back box) would make any real difference. Boy was i wrong!!!.
I now realise that the BMW is too big for me to handle in the sand, and that i was way overloaded. The bottom line was that we had a great time, but alot of the fun factor was lost.

I've now bought myself a new Dr650 and really want to get back to basics. The bike is still at the dealers and i will pick it up on Wednesday. Can't wait  ;D

All the best
Dave