How to decide when to cross fast flowing water?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oo7

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Last weekend ChrisL and I had to make a decision on whether to cross a low level bridge across the Duiwenhoks river that had some water flowing over it. (Some pics of the crossing here: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=63615.0)

At first glance (and even without walking through the water to test the strength / depth) I was convinced that it will be a piece of cake. Chris was the brave one and ventured in first.

Turned out that we both misjudged the strength of the water and Chris nearly lost his bike as a result. Fortunately the bike and rider was pushed up against the downstream pillar of the low level bridge, which prevented him from being washed away into the river. We eventually managed to push the bike back to dry ground where the cylinders required to be dried out before we could get it going again.

I think I took a couple of things away with me from this experience:

ALWAYS walk through (or at least attempt to walk through) the water that you want to cross. This will firstly give you an idea of the depth of the water you are about to cross, secondly provide an indication of the strength of the flowing water and thirdly give you a rough idea of what’s going on at the bottom, as chances are that it may be completely different from the previous time you may have crossed this exact same place before.

If you can’t walk through it, I suppose you can’t ride through it?

When I rushed into the river to assist Chris, I was surprised about the water level which reached to above my knees, as I assessed it to be a lot shallower. However, despite the relative strength and depth of the water, I actually still thought that the water was not that strong and that one should actually be able to cross? Clearly this was not the case. 

My frame of reference in respect of strong flowing waters is related to my kayaking experience – which of course is  something completely different.

So my question is – how does one go about assessing whether or not to cross a fast flowing body of water? I remember from Metaljockey's Zambia report where they employed the help of locals at one stage by tying ropes to the bike and having the locals walk the bike through – but still – when is the water even too strong to do that?

So what indications/signs should one use when making this decision?

And will a heavier bike (i.e. a fully loaded GSA with pillion) necessarily be better through the same flowing water than a lighter bike?

Would be interesting to hear some views from guys with experience in this dept?

Kamanya – any water crossing lessons coming our way soon perhaps?

Latest posts