How to fight rust on a bike ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I still have a problem with my bike rusting.

The problem is that my little garden cottage in Durban where I stay for local projects is an easy 8 iron from the beach, and my bike is parked under cover, but it is open on one side to the hot, humid and salty Indian Ocean winds.

In another thread I asked about possibly attaching a sacrificial anode to the bike. I phoned the Yamaha technical guy yesterday and he did not think that this would help much and rather suggested I look for some of the good anti-corrosive sprays available from the auto-spares guys.

But I don't know what is good, and I think it's going to work out quite costly if I have to spray much of the bike after every wash with those dinky aerosols. 

So I was wondering if there is some muti I could get in bulk and spray it on after washing with one of those things you use to zap bugs in the garden ?

I am also scared of using something that may damage the paint or plastic surfaces.

Any ideas ?