How to remove a stripped bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectral

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi all. I thought I'd post this as a general help to everyone. It's pretty logical, but it took some effort doing and I couldn't find any detailed help anywhere.

I wanted to take seat off my KLR650, but after I removed the covers, I discovered that some genius had previously stripped the thread of the nut and bolt securing the seat.

The bolt screws into a bracket on the frame with a nut that's welded onto the bracket.

I first tried pulling on the bolt and turning it using  vice grip, but didn't get anywhere.

I then decided to drill out the bolt. I did this using the same size drill bit as the bolt size. The bolt was an M6, so I used a 6 mm bit. I then drilled (more or less) into the centre of the bolt head. I drilled until I got through the thickness of the head.

Once through, I could break off the head leaving the threaded section of the bolt in the nut.

I then had to force the the last part through the nut. I did this using an old drill bit and hammer. I hit a snag, because there wasn't enough space to get the full length out, as the frame behind the bracket was too close.

I forced the bolt forward again, then I grinded off a section of the bolt (this was scary, I don't like using power tools in my bike). I was then able to hammer the bolt through and get it out.

I now have a loose bolt and nut screwed in there, so I can actually get it out when I need to!

Hope this helps someone along the line!