HP2 or 1200 GSA Fuel Consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarthogARJ

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Ladies, Gents and WD's,
What sort of fuel consumption are you getting with either HP2 Enduro or 1200 GS(A)'s?
I'm trying to see if mine is normal, and also for planning.

If you can say if it was high speed or low speed cruising, and/or on or off road.

I just started measuring mine and driving on highway at about 140-150 km/h with my panniers on I got 13.1 km/l.
Lots of leadfooting for that.
I am hoping it goes closer to 18- 20 km/l when I'm cruising at a lower speed, but I need to check that next long highway trip.

I don't have a good way to measure my reserve anymore: I added the HPN 23 liter tank and the BMW fuel float doesn't work very reliably on that.
Is either low fuel warning when full or nothing even when empty.
So I've bypassed it (by fastening the float in up position).

I could turn off one leg of the tank with its separate fuel cock if I want a reserve on the main tank.
But I have have Makus from Bavia's 8 liter rear tank so I usually keep that as reserve.

But it's a bit of a shock to be winding along and all of a sudden run out of fuel from the main when you're at Mach 3.....
So if only for that I need to be a bit more aware of consumption.
And it's a hassle to have to fill both tanks at a stop (take off seat, pump twice, sometimes have to get them to reset the pump etc).
I'd rather just keep the rear tank full for a safety reserve.

Thanks,
Alan