Ignition barrel issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolas Rossouw

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi all the lc8 lovers...

Just wanted to bring this up for the guys that don't know about this issue so that u don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere... Or the guys that know about it and just never done something about it like ME!!

Been for a moerse leker wet ride over the weekend in the cederberg and Sunday morning just as we turned left into the rode to head home my bike cut out... Turn right and there's power again... 5 of the 6 wires on the ignition barrel were pinched and 4 broken off... The clearance between the frame and the plastic cover is way to small and over some time this happens...

Repairing this wil be a major hassle if u the standard air filter box on the bike... U have to take off the right  tank off to get to the plug of the barrel underneath the glove box to give u some slack to work with...

But i have worked on the bike in 40° in the postal route to repair a faulty oil pressure sensor. ( tanks off, air box open, throttle body's off, and airbox out) after that i have made some modifications to make life easier for myself...

So back to the repair...
Top fender off, glove box out and plug un plugged...
1h later i have made a field repair taped up the wires assembled and off we went...
I wil be cutting the cover to make sure there's enough clearance for the wiring to make sure it doesn't happen again...
Don't be a fool like me...
Just cut the cover or do something when u have the bike open on the next service...

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk