Ignition hassles â?? and fix â?? F650 BMW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnivore

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Enjoying a nice cruise home from Uitenhage, where I work, and with quite a long shopping list for tyre gauge, thingamies and whatchacallits, I experience the dreaded bbbbburrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr of zero ignition. Zut. Zero. Niks.

Darnâ?¦ whacked the tank onto reserve â?? so soon..? checked the odo â?? 117 km! Bullshâ?¦. Man, canâ??t be.. .. stop. Dead.

Seat off, fiddle, check all connections to VReg, Ignition moduleâ?¦. No difference. Furiously operate the key â?? maybe sporadic contact (Damn, wonder how much a new switch from BMW is..) turn handle bars â??CLICK â??relay onâ?¦ off againâ?¦fiddle with harness. CLICK.. off.. CLICK.. off.. CLICK.. off..
Manage to wedge the harness in a certain position and the journey continues, Finished the shopping spree and managed to get home by not turning more than half a smidgen to the left and only a smidgen and a bit to the right. Ignition died in traffic about 5 times â?¦.

To cut a long story square, I took the switch off the lock assembly and discovered 3 of the 6 wires were broken off the solder tabs. (Pic1)

www.f650.com â?¦. To the rescueâ?¦ found ONE picture of an intact switch. (Pic2)

Re-soldered (Pic3) (doesnâ??t look so good, but itâ??s solid..) and filled up the back with Hotmelt gluestik. (I love that stuff..)

In the process, a long-standing issue with non-functional clock setting in Park or ON position was also solved.

What I learned: Do not be instantly terrified of something being wrong with your bike. Just check it out, and work logically. I had gotten myself into a tizz by the time I got home, thinking I was in for plentch moolas to fixâ?¦

What was scary was that this happened 6 days before our trip to The Hellâ?¦ my imagination went ape, at missing the trip, or getting strandedâ?¦ Ugh!

Attachments

• 3-wiresBrkn2.JPG
    3-wiresBrkn2.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 178
  • IgnitionSwitchF650Classic.jpg
    IgnitionSwitchF650Classic.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Repaired1.jpg
    Repaired1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 182