Introduction and advice sought by The Amateur

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hi. As my profile name indicates, I am not only new to the "Forum", but totally new to biking as well. As a matter of fact I was advised (obviously by a "good" friend) to join the wilddog forum to gain sound advice on what bike to buy for myself - yip, I'm that new! I pretty much figured for myself that I would need to get something in the 650 to 800cc range. A friend of mine has a 1100GS, but the size of the bike is a bit "intimidating" to me. I am 6ft tall. This seems important when I read some of the bike reviews and find that the taller guys get slapped on the helmet by the wind on the open road. What bike (dual purpose - for the occasional Bavians) would you recommend to a novice? I have the following in mind: GS650 Dakar; KLR 650; Suzuki 650 V-Strom; Honda Transalp 650/700? I am not mechanically inclined - YET - and have around R50K to spend on a bike. My wife will join me on the odd occasion - I will need to lift her with the bike. Hope this helps for some sound advice.