Introduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripper

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Hi all. I tried to join WD forum about 6 months ago after a guy on an Africa Twin pulled up to me at the robots in Knysna and asked if I was joining 28 other Africa Twin (@) owners for an @ meet  in Kalitsdorp and  Die Hell. I said I didn't hear about it and as the robot changed he said "join the WD forum, there lots of information there" and "come on join us" and he road off into the sunset. I would have gone if I didn't have weekend commitments! Well I tried joining that day and my PC decided to get sick. Then I got busy as hell at work and still hadn't joined. Which is really slack on my part because I desperately needed to get a fuel tank for my @ as mine had developed a hole in it. I had contacted Bike Hospital and Touratech and they wanted R10 000.00 bucks for one plus courier fees and that was a bit much for my bank manager. I patched the hole with Q-Bond - and it worked like a Mc Gyver jobbie. A few weeks later my buddy "Detourer" (who you can read all about on this forum) phones me before the sun was up on a Sunday morning and asked if I had joined WD or wouldn't mind quickly joining so he and the rest of the film crew could get help via the forum in the Karoo with some tubes for his KLR.  SO I promptly registered and in the meantime his co-star "Mountainboy" somehow logged on and asked for help.
Anyway I registered and was thinking about what to say as an intro while I was riding to work and suddenly a cage driver decided to not stop at the stop street and my @ and I connected his cage at about 80km/h and I did the rocket man thing and my @ did the cartwheel thing and I l bit the dust and as I tried to get up to go and kick his window in I fell down and noticed that my foot was pointing backwards and a bone was sticking out of my leg and blood was squirting out of that. I looked away in disbelief because this is the second time I have had a bike prang and found my foot pointing backwards.

Fortunately for me I landed next to an off duty paramedic who said "sir you shouldn't have taken your helmet off, lie still, I am going to give you a morphine injection." I asked him why he thought that this was necessary and he replied "because you have done a good job of breaking your leg and your bone has pierced through your leg and severed an artery." Morphine is incredible stuff. Thank heavens for it and for the Paramedic. I waited 25 minutes for the ambulance and would have died from the pain and shock if it wasn't for him. I have a very low pain threshold.

Hospital was a nightmare and I only got operated on 48 hours later when the doctor decided to check why I was still losing blood. He cut the bandages off and discovered that my internal calf muscle had slipped through the wound the bone had made and was now lying outside of my leg, on my leg. The trauma doctor had ordered her assistant to stictch it up but failled to do so.

Anyway I am now at home and incapacitated, with my leg elevated to get the swelling down. I had a 30cm titanium pin inserted into the tibia and the fibula remains broken and should knit in time.

My @, I have heard, has bent forks but my brand new petrol tank which I found via this forum via "Detourer"  (which cost R3500.00 only) which I had put on 3 days before the accident, doesn't have a single scratch on it.

Now my dilemma is - the wife said "if you ever ride that bike again, I am leaving, you choose the bike and the highway and I am hitting the highway".  Any ideas please.

:mad: