JHB > Mokhotlong > Sani > Naudes Nek > Rhodes > Lundeans Nek > JHB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Alex

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Myself, Asterix and two non forum members, Louis and Marius Boshoff, embarked on a recce trip from Saturday 26 April and returned to the Bronx on Tuesday 29 April.
The route was:

26 April â?? JHB > Caledonspoort > Butha Buthe â?? Oxbow â?? Mokhotlong â?? Sani Pass â?? Underberg.

27 April â?? Underberg > Swartberg â?? Matatiele > Mt Fletcher > Maclear > Naudesnek > Rhodes.

28 April â?? Rhodes > Moshes Ford > Lundeans Nek > Zastron etc to Clarens (Bokpoort)

29 April â?? Bokpoort > Kestell > Reitz > Petrus Steyn > Heilbron > Deneysville > JHB

Without boring youâ??s with a lot of words, see the pictures with brief explanatory comments (below photos) where necessary. I just want to say though, Sani Pass is fast becoming treacherous, especially when snow and rain is about. I have now traveled it 5 times (4 x bike) since 1990 and it indeed stays a thrill a minute!

IMG_0977.jpg

Sir Alex, Marius, Asterix and Louis, yes Marius and Louis are brothers.  This photo was taken at Petrus Steyn on our way back.  It is the BP garage as one enters the dorp and they serve great food and moreover, are Biker friendly and worth a stop!!

IMG_0876.jpg

We arranged to meet at the One Stop on the N3 at 06.00 and 300 000 other people, given the long weekend also accompanied us up and till Villiers where we left the traffic behind.  Here Asterix is enjoying early coffee while waiting for Louis and Marius from PTA.

IMG_0888.jpg

At border post at Caledonspoort which was entered without a hitch.  Aserix forgot his bikes papers which we were fortunately not asked to produce.
And from here onwards, we had to keep in mind that Sani Border Post closes at 16.00 and we need to get on with it as we did not arrange any accommodation upfront.

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

This is the 1st real scenic stretch in the Moteng Pass 2840m high with very sharp bends and very steep inclines â?? tricky bit of tar riding. Asterix had a lie down in the snow and the brothers threw snowballs at each other.

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

The road keeps on climbing pass Oxbow till one reaches Tlaneeng Pass at 3275m the highest road pass in Southern Africa. It has also been some time that one  has seen any trees at this height which gives the area that was covered in snow a somewhat of a surreal feel and look.
Also important to note, while maps indicate the road to be tar till Mokhotlong, donâ??t be fooled â?? tar yes, but with more potholes (some dangerously big) to contend with than tar but it tends to improve as one descends to Mokotlong.
One passes through Black Mountain Pass between Mokhotlong and Sani which is all dirt and rather technical.

Then we hit Sani at 15.25 and we still had to get to the border post below before 16.00 â?? remember?  And any one who has done Sani will know about the steep bends at the top which was covered in mud after the snow along the edges, have started thawing out.

DSC00185.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00187.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

This happened at the 1st bend, I lost the front and down I went.  Louis, Marius and Asterix who followed had to 1st bring their bikes to a halt, which in these conditions at this incline was no easy feet, to help me pick up the GS.  See the bakkie in the background - we asked him to inform the border we are on our way as turning back, was just not an option.
However, Asterix did an Alfie Cox (on a GS 1150 ADV nogal) and â??raced downâ?
to the border asking them to please hang in there as there were three other bikes on the way â?? he got there 3 minutes before 16.00.  And alas â?? the rest of us got to the border before the 4x4 bakkie, albeit 5 minutes after closing time.
See a very relieved but dirty Sir Alex after having his passport stamped and back in RSA. and a smiling Asterix (Alfie Cox), Louis and Marius. â?? thanks guys!

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

We stopped over at Himevile Arms for a couple of beers and the best curry in KZN before finding a spot at Khotso Horse Trails Backpackers outside of Underberg to sleepover.  They have a very friendly horse called Simon, who I found waiting for his breakfast at the back door the following morning.  Nice joint and very hospitable people and animals.

IMG_0927.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

The following morning, Sunday 27 April, on our way to Matatiele, just the other side of Underberg, we traveled in heavy mist and this is the point of exit into a clear blue sky for the rest of the day.

IMG_0941.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

At the top of Naudesnek , the highest pass in RSA.

DSC00219.jpg

Shot taken by Asterix of our descent, down to Rhodes. He then again road like hell to catch up, but Asterix can!

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

We met KTOOM and friends on KTMâ??s all the way from down South at Rhodes Hotel that evening â?? nice guys and I must say, nice Bikes, the KTMâ??s.
We pitched our tents for a cold nights sleep and Louis and Marius made us some well come BLACK coffee after our visit at the Rhodes Hotel.

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

The Bikes and Asterix in Lundeans Nek which is also a very beautiful area and an even better ride.

IMG_0967.jpg

Had lunch at Maluti Hotel in Zastron on our way to Clarens.

IMG_0975.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

We stayed at Bokpoort 8 km outside Clarens which is well known for its horse trails.  Note that the 1200 GSâ?? have pitched their tents away from the 1150 GS Adv as Sir Alex and Asterix  was informed by the Boshoff  Brothers that we snor  and we were dubbed Massey (&) Ferguson since our 1st night in Underberg.

IMG_0980.jpg

Our last stop on dirt just before Deneysville where we said our goodbyes and I again felt sad, thinking that if I was wealthy or at least married into a wealthy family, I could (do this) ride for a living.  But as they say in the classics (which is true though), I have my health!