Jules's Tenere, The Mods So Far UPDATED 22nd June! see 1st Post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
So its been 6months and a 6000km's and as you can expect I haven't been able to keep my hands to myself  :biggrin:

Some of the Mods I had done before delivery by Shimwells

They did the following.

1. High MX Style Front mudguard
2. Givi Crash Bars
3. Yamaha Ally Bash Plate
4. Fatbar handle bar
5. Handle Bar Risers
6. Cycra Pro Bend Hand Guards
7. Front and Rear Indicator integration (the Front indicators are removed and the bulbs inserted into the headlight in place of the park lights, The Rear indicators are
removed and orange LED's are inserted next to the brake LED's, when you indicate that sides brake LEDs turn off and the orange ones flash. Works great and looks neat, Less to damage offroad)
8. Stage 1 and 2 DNA Air Filter (As Per Yamaha SA all Teneres get this mod.
9. Re location of rectifier to under the tank (As Per Yamaha SA all Teneres get this mod, The stock location of the rectifier has it very exposed to the elements.

What I've done so far

1. Handle Bar Bag, This was a hiking bag I have had for years and never had a use for, Works perfectly here. This has helped a lot with the buffeting from wind blowing up
between the front forks and gives me some much needed extra storage space.

2. HID replacement bulbs for the Dim and Bright lights, This is an awesome Mod. The ultra bright white light makes the bike a lot more visible during the day and makes a huge
difference when riding at night. Stock the Tenere has only the dim OR the bright light on at a time. this was a problem because the HID's take a few seconds to get to full
power and would leave you in the dark when switching to brights, I solved this by taking power from the ignition (Via a relay I fitted) directly to the Dim's. So now the dims
come on with the ignition and when switching to brights both are on, As HID's draw a lot less power than the stock lights this does not add too much extra load to the power
circuits on the bike. The only concern I have is with the heat generated possibly damaging the "plastic" front lens on the Tenere but I have checked it a lot and although warm
does not look to be getting too hot. As the Tenere has limited space it was tricky to find a good spot to mount the ballasts the HID's require, in the end I settled on
mounting them on either side of the frame where the oil tank is, I was worried that there might be a lot of heat transfer from the oil tank but I mounted the ballasts using
heavy duty Velcro that seems to shield them from a lot of heat, After hours of ridding there is no noticeable extra heat on the ballasts.

3. 12 Volt Relay fitted behind the Little dash cover under the clocks with a small break out box to power accessory's, This allows me to run my accessories directly from the
battery but still have them all switch off with the key,

4. 12 Volt Hella plug mounted in from left of fairing, This is a perfect spot as there is lots of space for wiring etc.

5. USB Mini plug for Garmin Etrex GPS, I Mounted my 12V charger in the same location as the hella plug and made a small hole for the cable to come out of, This allows me to
"retract" the cable when not in use and makes a tidy way to power my GPS.

6. Pooratech GPS mount for my Garmin, I like having my GPS close to my left had as it makes using it on the go far easier and safer, that is why I decided not to mount it on
the provided mounting above the clocks

7. Oxford Heated grips, Also powered from the relay and mounted to the left of the throttle housing, I did my Stickier thing and made it look more OEM :)

8. Quick removal mounting system for my Oxford Tail bag, I wanted a secure and neat way to mount the bag so that it was quick to remove, I made some small brackets that were
slotted to allow screw heads to be locked into place from either side,Picture will explain, It works very well as you need to unlock the seat to remove the bag and its quick
and secure, (I know its easy to just cut the cables but I just wanted to deter the chancers, I will remove the bag when the bike is out of site. The Bag contains some tools
Tube and puncture kit and a rain suit.

9. Rear axle spanner and tire spoon and short tire lever mounted under seat, I rubber wrapped them to make them secure and they are held in position with cable ties.

10. Tow Rope (we do sometimes have BMW's along for rides  :pot:) and License disk held by rubber strap under seat.

UPDATE 12 March 2010

11. Lengthen Clutch Arm. Read on the web that you can very simply modify the clutch arm to make the clutch action softer, This took me 15 minutes and makes a difference when
doing a lot of technical or   stop start riding

12. Rear Rack from Gstry, Got this this week and WOW a real work of art! Its kind of sad to hide it under my tail bag, Maybe I should get a 2nd one and strap it onto the top
of my luggage for all to see  :biggrin: Fits perfectly and looks the part, Get ONE NOW!

13. PowerComander and Stage 3 Air Filter Fitted. This has made a great improvement in the bikes responsiveness and willingness to pull from low revs, Also revs a lot faster
from 5k rpm to red line now, The Induction roar from the filter is addictive!

14. Rerouted the throttle cables around the front of the bars, This allows me to raise the bars even more for the perfect standing position.

15. New Hella Hooter, Same type as fitted stock but this one is larger and a LOT louder, easy bolt on mod for R35

16. Fitted the Yamaha Engine Bars, This took some modification to get them to fit as they use the same mounting points as the Givi crash bars, See Stage 3 Filter pics

17. Clear Vinyl sections stuck to bottom of tank, This is to stop my pants from leaving scratches when the bike gets dirty, Almost invisible see pics of Stage 3 filters

18. Fuel filler Mod. Drilled a small hole in the neck of the tank to allow for more fuel and faster filling, Only downside is Dont fill the bike to the brim and then leave it
to stand in the sun (Which I never do I fill up and ride) as some fuel might run out of the overflow pipes due to expansion of the fuel as it warms up

UPDATE 29 March 2010

19. The Stock Tenere screen seems to be just short of perfect, For my hight at certain speeds I get some mild helmet buffeting that becomes uncomfortable for prolonged periods
of time, The Handle bar bag has helped a lot to reduce some of this by cutting the air blowing up between the forks, On a recent long trip I experimented and found that if I
hold my hand up on top of the screen there is a drastic reduction to the buffeting, I saw the Touratech option for R1500 and decided to Pooratech my own solution, I spotted a
clever use of fold back clips in the WD Pooratech section and set about bending some spare perspex to size, The bending is tricky, You need to heat it up just enough to keep
the new shape but not too much that it starts blistering. I used a blow torch to heat and shape the perspex, After 45mins or so I had the shape and size I wanted and attached
the foldback clip to the perspex with some heavy duty epoxy, About R40 cost to build. I Used this on the recent FS bash trip and it makes a noticeable difference, The Added
benefit is I can remove it while riding and store it behind the stock screen, (See pictures below) I still want to experiment with shortening the stock screen and see if that
also helps, Any one got a old damaged stock screen for me to cut? I did find a bit of steering wobble when using the extended screen at about 150kph I just ride through it so
no a major problem for me,

20. Dunlop D606 Rear and D908 Front. What can I say about the dunlop tires They are awesome. Made the Heuweltop route on the FS bash a breeze in the mud, They handle 170kph on
tar no sweat, the only negative I have is the slight increase in road noise at 90kph and at 140Kph They hummmmmm at those 2 speeds but are fine everywhere else, Its So worth
it unless you are a die hard commuter get some knoblies for your next of road trip You wont be sorry, They also make the Ten look the part Huh?

21. Stage 3 Airbox Cover Protector,  After some technical riding I noticed that my MX boots were rubbing against the wires of the stage 3 filter, I can see how this would
cause damage to the filter after prolonged use so I set about making a shield out of some Aluminum (Sorry Would I I have all but depleted your stock of ally I will need to get
you some more :)) After shaping bending and drilling the ally it fitted perfectly and will do the job very well, Looks kinda bad ass to :)

22. Wide Foot pegs. I Had the Yamaha MX pegs fitted to the Tenere when I bought it as I know what a good upgrade that is when you ride off road. I was happy with them until I
saw a set of red Ally Airtime Pegs and Full Throttle. These look amazing and I had to have them, problem was they don't make a set to fit the Ten so I had to take a goooood
look to see if they could be made to fit, I bit the bullet and bought the ones made for the CR450F Honda as they seemed to be the closest, After some cutting and shaping and
30mins of elbow grease they fit perfectly and OMG dont they look soooo pretty! its nice when a mod works well and looks great at the same time.

UPDATE 6th April 2010

23. Clutch Lever Mod. After some technical riding I relised that the stock lever does not allow easy 2 finger usage, You are unable to pull it back far enough to change gears
without squasing your fingers, I had a look for options online but eventualy decided to just cut and shape the stock lever and see how it goes, 20 minutes of cutting and shaping and I am very happy with the result, I also re shaped the face of the lever to give it better grip with only 2 fingers. I Will need to test it in some ROUGH stuff soon!
Pictures are at the pottom of the post

UPDATE 14th April 2010

24. Hyde Goodies. Finally got some much needed Hyde Goodies for the Ten (From WOA), I got the Clear Head Light Protector, The Clutch and Frame Protectors, Quick and easy to install and they look the biznizz and they will stop my boots from ruining the finnish on my Tenere.

25. New Handle Bar Bag. As some of you Moaned about the look of the khaki bag I had before I got this black one form Out Door Warehouse, Nice and big and only needed a little modification to do the job. Looks better in black I agree  ;)

UPDATE 22nd June 2010

26. Removed the exhaust and cut the CAT out, Looked at maybe modifying it a little more but its a BEEG job and I'm happy with it as it is for now, Its lighter and definitely breathes better than before, Sound is maybe 10% louder but not really noticeable. I didn't take pics but will repost some I found on XT660.com that I used as a guide.

27. Removed the Gray plastics and sprayed them Black, Used the RustOleum plastic paint, great stuff as it bonds to the plastic and needs no primer or sanding, (Got it from Builders Warehouse)
also did the silver rear caps of the exhaust in black. This makes the bike look a lot better I think.

Pictures

GPS Mount, Handle Bar Bag
tenmods1.jpg

Yamaha (oxford) Heated Grips
tenmods2.jpg

tenmods5.jpg

High Front Fender
tenmods19.jpg

tenmods18.jpg

Indicator re location
tenmods20.jpg

Custom Stickers to hide location of stock front indicators
tenmods6.jpg

Hella Plug and Retractable USB GPS Power cable
tenmods4.jpg

tenmods24.jpg

tenmods25.jpg

Tail Bag Mount points
tenmods8.jpg

tenmods9.jpg

tenmods10.jpg

tenmods11.jpg

tenmods12.jpg

Wheel Spanner and Tire Lever
tenmods13.jpg

tenmods14.jpg

HID Lights
tenmods15.jpg

tenmods16.jpg

Bright Huh
tenmods22.jpg

tenmods23.jpg

Tow Rope under seat
tenmods21.jpg

UPDATE 12 March 2010
Clutch Mod
clutchmod1.JPG

clutchmod2.JPG

clutchmod3.JPG

GStry Rear Rack
rack1.JPG

rack2.JPG

rack3.JPG

Stage 3 Filter

stage31.JPG

stage32.JPG

UPDATE 29 March 2010

Screen Extender
screen7.JPG

screen8.JPG

Stored away when not in use (Can be done with one hand while moving)
screen1.JPG

screen2.JPG

screen3.JPG

Stage 3 Airbox Protector
pegs-5.JPG

pegs-6.JPG

Airtime Wide MX Pegs
pegs-4.JPG

pegs-1.JPG

Dunlop Knoblies
pegs-2.JPG

pegs-3.JPG

UPDATE 6th April 2010
Clutch Lever

The Bit I cut off
clutch1.JPG

Fitted
clutch2.JPG

clutch3.JPG

clutch5.JPG

Perfect Fit
clutch4.JPG

UPDATE 14th April 2010
hyde1.JPG

hyde2.JPG

hyde3.JPG

hyde4.JPG

hyde6.JPG

New Handle Bar Bag
hyde5.JPG

UPDATE 22nd June 2010

De CAT pictures (From XT660.com Thanks to Tim Cullis)

P1000929e.jpg

P1000931e.jpg

P1000932e.jpg

P1000934e.jpg

Plastic gray to black colour change

blackten1.JPG

blackten2.JPG

blackten3.JPG

blackten4.JPG

blackten5.JPG

blackten6.JPG

blackten7.JPG