Kalahari,Canyon, coast and catherdal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schalk

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Kalahari, canyon, coast and cathedral.

It was time again. We had to do something soon. I was seriously trying to get some of my old riding buddies in on a trip. Trying to get everybody’s schedules coordinated proved to be the real challenge.
3 Weeks before departure we were still figuring out a route and logistics. The rough idea was Molopo, South Western Botswana and southern Namibia. Return via Richtersveld and along the Orange River.
A date was set and a place to meet. We decided to meet in Kuruman as it will give us maximum exposure on dirt roads, just what we wanted.
In the mean time I was frantically busy preparing my new weapon of choice. I’ve decided sadly to depart with my trusty KTM 640 adv. and go on (hopefully) to better equipment. Avontier has already pimped his new KTM 690 and I was following a slightly different route. I was amazed with all the areas I had to work on at getting the 690 to my liking. Size was also an issue and available space on the bike was much less than the 640.Hopefully the weight issue and much awaited engine advantage will compensate for the practicality loss and dependability of the 640.Krazykubu was also on a Ktm 690 and it was him that inspired both me and Avontier to venture into the unknown.
We all met at the”Oude Werf” lodge in Kuruman on Thursday 5 May. All that was invited was there. Ex Kdx was still on his way fro Pta on his bike, and only made it to Barberspan. Even this time it was still raining. Raingear was definitely on the packing list, for those that had it….
Bikes were packed, unpacked, compared, serviced and some new gear was tried on.., a little late. We would depart early morning after Ex kdx arrive form Barberspan. He still would have to do about 350km in the rain in the morning before reaching us. The group would be 7 riders. Quite a big group, but I have had many years of experience with all of them, and was really looking forward to spend time riding with all of them. All experienced riders, in fact, Ex kdx convinced me to buy my 1st off road bike in 1987, a Yamaha IT 200. He was a veteran then!
2 Brothers:
Avontier:
IMG_4770.jpg

10Air:
DSC03934.jpg

2 Cousins:
Krazykubu:
DSC03975.jpg

Me; Kwaggasakkie
DSC03976.jpg

2 Buddies:
9ribs:
DSC03971.jpg

Ex kdx:
DSC04019-1.jpg

DSC03968.jpg

And
One tomato farmer, Tomato or Konyn
DSCF0114.jpg

Day 1:
The excitement and anticipation of such a trip is amazing. Just bikes, buddies and wide open terrain. For 7 days! It shows this morning. Ex kdx arrive around 9am. Already done 350km for the morning, on a, not so friendly road cruiser!
We fill up in Kuruman and follow some dirt roads direction Hotazel.
DSCF0031.jpg

IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4541.jpg

Get on a tar road and have to stay on it for about 150km to Van Zylsrus.
IMG_4545.jpg

Me and 9ribs immediately explore the large red dune behind town. Soon all riders join us and it offers great views of this Kalahari town. The local boys entertain us with some magnificent backflips and some of them making it down all the way to the bottom.
IMG_0665.jpg

DSC02534.jpg

DSC02533.jpg

Having had a few cold ones at the hotel, a real nice spot, the edge is of and we have to traverse the Molopo all the way to Askam. That is the plan anyway.
DSCF0033.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_4549.jpg

We leave Van Zylsrus to continue its Friday afternoons rest. No rest for the restless! Take a right turn and ride to the Botswana border.  Middleputs, take a left on some farm roads, find a skinning facility that caters for some biltong hunters. As a Game farmers and safari outfitter I’m amazed by the size of Gemsbuck and Springbuck being skinned. I estimate this Gemsbuck bull’s horns well over 40 inches, a well sought after trophy. I will return for a Gemsbuck like this.
IMG_4551.jpg

They direct us on a little road that will take us to the Molopo. Limestone rocks. Plenty. Then down to the Molopo. The tracks change from sandy to clay, with the clay being very treacherous, because of the rains.
IMG_4555.jpg

IMG_4560.jpg

The road invites you to open out, only to slip and slide around the next corner heavily laden. All of us very excited and chasing each other. 9 Ribs show no fear and just open the XR 650 wide open when it starts to slide. It works for him.
IMG_4554.jpg

We ride all afternoon and stop often to admire the scenery. The road changed sometimes to sandy 2 tracks.
IMG_4561.jpg
IMG_4557.jpg
DSC02535.jpg

At nightfall we are about 30km from the Kalahari lodge. The road is windy, corrugated.
DSC02549.jpg

DSC02550.jpg

Me and 9 ribs loose it all and ride flat out. His Baja light and my HID’s lid the white Kalahari sand road and we get the feeling of a race in some remote desert. Often reaching speeds 150km/h, the 2 thumpers next to each other just enticing to go crazy. I’m amazed at the handling of the 690 at these speeds on this heavily corrugated road. This peace of road racing with my 25year long bike buddy will forever be one of the highlights of my biking memories. We reach the tar road and lift our helmets. High five!
Soon Avontier join.  He chased us too. All just happy to be in one piece. We make our way to the Molopo Kalahari lodge. The food is phenomenal, the drinks too. 6 more days and many more kms - So exciting!
DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

Ex kdx is tired. Done many kms for the day. We have done 370km and he 720km
Me and Avontier lift an extra cold one. We promised ourselves in 2009 on our Jacobsbaai to Ellisras trip that we will return to this spot. What a great day!