Karoo of the murderers - complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsgofishing

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Uncharacteristically, TR is late - problems with his luggage. So while I'm hanging around the petrol station on the outskirts of Goerge, someone's wife pulls up in this Bentley Continental - I didn't realise we had such affluent members! Apologies for the shitty quality :(

P1000112a.jpg

Eventually he arrives on this warmish Saturday morning (we are expecting near freezing conditions further inland) and we set off on the long-awaited trip to the Moordenaars Karoo. We're heading for Op die Plaas on the far side of Seweweekspoort where we'll meet up with the rest of the group - there'll be 8 of us in all.

day1.jpg

P1000114.jpg

The obligatory stop at Amanda's grave on the Montague Pass before heading towards the Rooiberg Pass outside Calitzdorp.

P1000116.jpg

P1000117.jpg

I've not done this road before, so I'm looking really forward to it. It runs pretty much parallel to the R62, but is along the base on the mountains.

The following pics were taken between waypoints 9 and 11 on the route.

P1000120.jpg

P1000122.jpg

P1000123.jpg

It's warm, too warm in fact for the cold-weather liners in my riding jacket and pants, but there's no traffic, the road surface is great and it's fantastic to be on my first proper trip since I broke my collarbone! Around mid-dayish, we arrive at this crossing of the Gouritz and have a little break. A very rustig little spot which would be awesome to camp at, but it's private property.

P1000124.jpg

P1000125.jpg

P1000128.jpg

We push on over the Rooiberg Pass and head for Ladismith

P1000129.jpg

P1000130a.jpg

Arriving there, we find Dusty and Pad having a cold one and a bite to eat.
We join then and then head to Amalienstein, where TR wants to interview this old gentleman (I've forgotten his name) who claims to have seen a mermaid on 2 separate occasions. (see https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=54261.0)

P1000132.jpg

An interseting fact is that TR has interviewed a number of witnesses and around the klein karoo area and they all describe her the same way: fair skin, blue eyes and black hair. When TR asked this gent about the colour of her skin, he pointed to Dusty and said; " Net soos sy, maar mooier!"
Then it was back to the R62 and Seweweekspoort.

P1000134a.jpg

P1000136.jpg

P1000139.jpg

P1000140.jpg

P1000142.jpg

Pad and Dusty coming over all artistic like.

P1000143.jpg

No matter how many times I ride Seweweekspoort, I always love it. The light is always different and there's always some aspect of the rock formations that I've not noticed before - it's definitley one of those special places.

We arrived at Op die Plaas and within minutes, Operator and PmdB arrived from Cape Town. RovRat had arrived earlier, but was out in the mountains. As we were setting up camp, Fat B joined us. Got a fire going, poured some drinks and started to relax. I'm leave it to my fellow riders to post the "round the campfire" pics!

tbc.....