KLR 650 no spark

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titanic

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Please give advice. I'm running out of ideas.
2004 KLR 650
History: Perfectly running bike that I rebuild. Mostly cosmetics, but frame painted as well. Doo replaced while motor was out minor maintenance like valve check and oil screen clean.
I assembled the bike and now there is no spark. All lights working and motor turns over, but no spark.
What I've done / tested:

I swapped  and confirmed working on a donor bike:
Diode
Plug
Coil and lead
Regulator rectifier
CDI

Tested continuity of the following units according to the wiring diagram:
Ignition switch on - w - b , working
ignition switch on r - r/w, working
sidestand up g/w - brown , working
clutch pulled , working (can't remember colors, tested according to the manual)
clutch release, working (can't remember colors, tested according to the manual)
2 fuses at battery, visually checked and tested for continuity
Earth wired inspected, at battery and top of frame.

Every plug has been cleaned and re-installed. Checked pins to make sure none is bend or pushed back. Tested most of them for continuity.

Complete harness was inspected before assembly and no damage was noticed. No chaffing and all 100% factory original. No added lights or any funnies.
The bike was previously stolen and I fitted a second hand ignition switch which was a simple plug and play and worked for a year without issues.

Questions:
1. If the motor turns over, can I confirm the side stand and clutch switch is not the problem?
2. I'm unsure of "Exciter and pickup coil". Honestly, I'm not even sure what they are or where they are. How can I test them? (I assume one is next to fly wheel and the other is the plain old coil where the plug lead is coming from?)
3. Is it correct what I have read that the ignition system uses only the stator for electricity? (which will mean fully charged battery and cooked stator will still result in no spark?)

thanks in advance