KLR 650 runs well for a while then seems to miss fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanti

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Hi There , i seem to be having problems with my KLR , My bike rides great round town ,responsive and no problems at all , it doesn't use oil and is a pleasure to ride but when i take it out on the open road SOMETIMES the bike starts to misfire and surge ,feels like petrol isn't getting in the engine or the timing is out ,this occurs initially at high speed and gradually gets worse ), to give an idea as to when this problem manifests it occurs about 30km's out of Cape town after continuous riding . The first time this occurred i tried all sorts of things , removing a vapour lock thing in the fuel tank , wrapping cloth around the fuel filter to prevent vapour lock there , removing the fuel filter altogether , fiddling with fuse that goes to the Headlight and the CDI unit ( can one get a heat sensitive CDI unit ??) , draining fuel out of the carb --- all these things seemed to help for a while ( i suspect maybe just the cursing and waiting at the side of the road helped as the bike was cooling - my temp gauge shows half so the engine seems not be be hot so more confusion ) ,, this problem is intermittent and frustrating . Is there any checks i can do myself before i have to bite the bullet and take it in to a professional ( cash is short at the moment ) , thanks in advance for any suggestions