KLR Carb Rescue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jughead

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So a client brings me his KLR carb.  "Please can you fix this?  The airscrew won't turn"

2nmBT5W.jpg

:eek: :eek:

Someone has obviously used the incorrect screwdriver and spread the slotted part of the airscrew, causing the threads to dig in.

I thought, "Not a problem, I will just pop it in the milling machine, mill away the slotted section and then use my other special tool to unscrew the remainder of the airscrew.

Set it up ...

9RttE1Q.jpg

Found the center ...

XLYCgO2.jpg

And took the majority of the top of the screw off, leaving enough for my special tool to grip.

VU4lrxn.jpg

No such luck.  The screw was solidly corroded onto the thread and wouldn't budge.  I eventually, very reluctantly, decided to drill it out.

What I was then left with was about 2 hours with a needle, removing the remaining bits of thread.  Unfortunately brass is not like other steels in that it has no spring.  Normally I would just grab this thread end with a tweezer and unscrew the coil.

Oxdg2Nm.jpg

It would collapse onto itself, thus pulling away from the internal thread.  Brass has no spring, so it just snaps off.  What I was left with was this.

dC5KOHI.jpg

Fortunately I managed to get it all out without touching the internal thread.  :biggrin:

bPRdV47.jpg

I have just decided that I not doing any more work for the week.  Nothing else I do this week will be this successful.