KLR Mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
About 6 months ago I decided to take the plunge and I swapped my standard KLR tweety bird exhaust a Penta exhaust.

I was pretty chuffed with the result. In my opinion it looked far better than the standard exhaust, and it is a lot lighter. The noise it makes is a whole lot more satisfying than the muted whistle emitted by the standard pipe, so I reckon it was money well spent.

As for performance, I think the bike performed better with the new pipe, but I couldn't be 100% sure, as maybe it was just making more noise, not necessarily going any faster.

The next thing I did was drilled about six holes through the top of my air-box, in order to let the bike breathe a bit better. Now the bike definitely did perform better, not just my imagination. Going up a long hill in top gear the bike pulled way better than it did before.

The next mod any self respecting KLR owner does (I probably should have started with this one) is upgrading the Doo. So I made enquiries with Le Cap as to price and postage costs and availability etc. About a day later my wife handed me a package that had arrived at our PO Box. My new Doo from Le Cap.

So I contacted my Mate Mervyn who runs the workshop at Motorcycle Centre and who also rides a KLR to ask about getting the Doo fitted. He said he can fit it any time, and also told me that he has just fitted Stage 1 DynoJets to his bike and he is very impressed with them.

He had ordered an extra kit of Dyno Jets and asked if I wanted him to fit them at the same time. I said lekker, might as well do it. And at the same time fit a new Renthall Hi Lift handle bar, as my standard one is a bit bent from a Fall I had about a month ago.

Anyway, I picked up my bike yesterday afternoon, and what struck me immediately, before even riding the bike, is how smoothly the motor revs. Obviously this is mostly due to the new improved Doo that was fitted, .........the old one was busted.

Riding my bike home I could feel a huge difference in low and mid-range power, so much so that it feels almost like a new bike. I have not yet ridden the bike at speed, but I must say I am really chuffed with my initial impressions.

Will post in a little while regarding performance and consumption details once I have ridden the bike a bit more.